Paleo or geo?

Highlander

Hello everybody.

Yesterday i found this in the layers of hard clay, where fossils i never met before. Above this clays there are sandstones from jurassic, so i decided that this Something are jurassic too. 

So i need your help with id.

Thnx alot.

IMG_20210912_182955.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

so i decided that this Something are jurassic too. 

Highlander, meet non conformity, and all it's various permutations.

Paleodictyon is what came to my mind as well. You may be looking at an old, and/or, deep water, surface.

• I Agree 1

@Highlander, nice find!!! 

Excuse my ignorance. I learned Paleodictyon is a trace fossil. But my mind is having a difficult time imagining a creature on the seafloor making perfect hexagonal traces of its existence. Any explanation would ease my conflict.

Mike

Just now, minnbuckeye said:

Excuse my ignorance. I learned Paleodictyon is a trace fossil. But my mind is having a difficult time imagining a creature on the seafloor making perfect hexagonal traces of its existence. Any explanation would ease my conflict.

Mike

They are thought to be farming traces (insert ichno term here). Modern ones are known, but I don't think the farmers have been observed.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

They are thought to be farming traces (insert ichno term here). Modern ones are known, but I don't think the farmers have been observed.

Limpets had been known to return to the same spot on the rock after grazing so you can see a little depression on rocks at low tide levels where limpets had repeat returns to. But since no modern-day examples of hexagon patterns exists, it is much harder to visualizes. 

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Mike

What you call your "ignorance" is shared by the paleontological community. No one can figure out what makes these traces or how, even though they have been discovered in modern oceans, indicating the organism still exists!

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

32 minutes ago, Tetradium said:

But since no modern-day examples of hexagon patterns exists, it is much harder to visualizes. 

This is incorrect.  They are still being found today, with no clues as to the makers of these marks.

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

46 minutes ago, Carl said:

, even though they have been discovered in modern oceans, indicating the organism still exists!

Check 

If these creatures were capable of supposedly engineering these patterns to use water flow to farm food wouldn't that require more intelligence than a worm has?  The pattern looks like pre programed repetition like that of bees and ants building structures. 

54 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

If these creatures were capable of supposedly engineering these patterns to use water flow to farm food wouldn't that require more intelligence than a worm has?  The pattern looks like pre programed repetition like that of bees and ants building structures. 

The creation of complex patterns need not have anything to do with intelligence. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

This is incorrect.  They are still being found today, with no clues as to the makers of these marks.

Weird. I'm guessing a hard body animal not soft body since soft body animals are more flexible and would had makes more round shapes. Obvious this is one case of when sediment shifters made those shapes because it was the most efficient way to completely cover the ocean floor and not accidently going over the same area twice. 

Very nice Paleodictyion isp.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, Tetradium said:

Obvious this is one case of when sediment shifters made those shapes because it was the most efficient way to completely cover the ocean floor and not accidently going over the same area twice. 

Agrichnia are thought to be created to either collect or culture bacteria or other small food substances. Literally a small farm.

Watch an inch worm a while. The body shape would seem suited for civil engineering.

' not sure they'd make it as an M.E. though.    :Wink1:

• Enjoyed 1