PaleoOrdo

My father was very found of nature and had an eye for valuable thing which he found in nature. In my home hometown area in Sogn, Norway, near the great Jostedal glacier, is rarely fossiles to find, becauce the glacier came out of this area, called "The home of Glacier" (Breheimen), many times in the past, to cover a great part of Europe during the ice-ages the last 2.3 million years. Here the nature is very much beautifully shaped with by the movement of the glaciers, and more movements than in other places. That is why the ancient sediments are removed and fossils are rare. However, it can be fossils from more recent times, and I have always wondered what this thing is which my father found many years ago . Anyone have an idea? 

IMG_20210824_115740.thumb.jpg.15f9ac2b5a74f5e6689e53ae8affb0eb.jpg

IMG_20210824_115721.thumb.jpg.b44431c5f6b559e703022085946028ce.jpg

I will also share with you two of the things he found in nature there, to make art of of them:

IMG_20210824_143532.thumb.jpg.c98fc204be0e25504fd1d442d79a54b2.jpg

He made several of these chairs, in the tradition of the Viking time, and if you sit down on one of his chairs, the chair will strart to play music from inside it.

Edited by PaleoOrdo
  • Enjoyed 1

Stromatolite maybe?   Your father was very talented!  Those are beautiful and I wish I could sit in the chair and listen to it!  First time I've heard of such thing so thank you for sharing :)

Beautiful furniture.  Your father was very talented.

Your specimen has a woody texture.  It reminds me of the conk mushrooms we have in the Pacific NW.  The second photo has an impression of tree bark.  It could be very old but I don't think it has fossilized. 

4 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Stromatolite maybe?   Your father was very talented!  Those are beautiful and I wish I could sit in the chair and listen to it!  First time I've heard of such thing so thank you for sharing :)

Thank you Lone Hunter, hope you enjoyed see ii.

4 hours ago, M Harvey said:

Beautiful furniture.  Your father was very talented.

Your specimen has a woody texture.  It reminds me of the conk mushrooms we have in the Pacific NW.  The second photo has an impression of tree bark.  It could be very old but I don't think it has fossilized. 

Thank you M Harvey. I agree with your suggestion. I will ask a biologist about the species.

Martin