Thick-shelled Dinosaur Egg

Crazyhen

This is a dinosaur egg from Ganzhou, Jiangxi Province of China.  Unlike most of the eggs found at Ganzhou, this one has a rather thick shell, though broken.  What do you think of its authenticity and if repair (glued?) was done?

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

I don't know too much about dinosaur egg fossils, but that looks seriously glued together to me.

Also, in the second photo there are areas where adjoining pieces are completely different colours. 

I am suspicious that bits of shell have been cut to size to fill the gaps in the original. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Interesting egg, looks hollow which is odd and not typical.  Not sure what to say. @-Andy- any thoughts?   Not easy to reassemble a broken egg.  The shell thickness made it possible.  Despite the color variations I would lean toward it being associated.  

• I found this Informative 2

This is most interesting. I have never seen such an egg from China before but the matrix left on the shell indicates it is likely from Ganzhou. I can definitely see many pieces of shell that are associated with each other, but there are also pieces that have a different color so we can't rule out repair or composition

This is uncharted territory for me too. I'd get it if there's an assurance of refund/exchange if this turns out to be fake.

• Thank You 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I would think it would be very hard to composite the curvature to match as well as this one.  Even with the color variations the lighter colors do blend in with darker shades in certain areas

Are there other eggs like this one?

11 hours ago, Troodon said:

I would think it would be very hard to composite the curvature to match as well as this one.  Even with the color variations the lighter colors do blend in with darker shades in certain areas

Are there other eggs like this one?

I have seen many eggs from Ganzhou, but I have only seen this one, which has a very thick shell and a shell with obvious air pores (for oval eggs, it's uncommon), for the first time.  At first, it looks like it's glued together from broken shell to me, but then I also noted the curvature and the colour pattern does look like it's blending in well.  I am not certain if it's repaired or a composite.

3 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Art.

I also vote composited, but with significant bits made out of associated shell fragments... Possibly two or more associated eggs. I mean, with such an unusually thick shell it's not likely the pieces came from very dispersed locations. But, still, I doubt all shell pieces come from the same specimen - though them coming from similar types of eggs, may be out of the same clutch, would explain similar colours, textures and curvature.

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett