Crinoid Ossicle vs Columnal

IsaacTheFossilMan

So, long story short, I'm writing a document up to help newbies to palaeontology - primarily from the UK - it focuses on British fossils a lot, but the general areas of it can be applied to anywhere. And that was besides the point... 

Basically, I'm looking for an eloquent way of citing the difference between crinoid columnals and ossicles, and I can't seem to get the wording right. Help a fossil friend out here :P

Isaac

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Crinoid ossicles are the spines, plates, arm and root covers as well as the stem support. 

Columnals are the particular type of ossicle that form the stem.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Crinoid ossicles are the spines, plates, arm and root covers as well as the stem support. 

Columnals are the particular type of ossicle that form the stem.  

That's a very neat summary, thanks! I've just thought of the analogy that ossicles are just an umbrella term like "bones", and columnals are the "leg bones"...

Many thanks my friend, appreciate it! :)

• Thank You 1

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

1 hour ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

That's a very neat summary, thanks! I've just thought of the analogy that ossicles are just an umbrella term like "bones", and columnals are the "leg bones"...

Many thanks my friend, appreciate it! :)

Maybe 'spine' would be a better analogy than 'leg bones' as the feet or legs would be the holdfast or 'rootlets'. 

But that's up to you, of course. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

10 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Maybe 'spine' would be a better analogy than 'leg bones' as the feet or legs would be the holdfast or 'rootlets'. 

But that's up to you, of course. 

That's true to be honest, that's a much better way of saying it! 

When will your knowledge ever fail, almighty Adam!? :P

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

That's true to be honest, that's a much better way of saying it! 

When will your knowledge ever fail, almighty Adam!? :P

Constantly. 

I expect someone will point out the errors in my initial statement soon.  :shrug:

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

40 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Constantly. 

I expect someone will point out the errors in my initial statement soon.  :shrug:

Such is a fact of life, unfortunately

• I Agree 1