Micro/macro, how big do we go?

IsaacTheFossilMan

So, I'm a bit conflicted. Part of me wants to call my specimen microfossils, yet another calls them macrofossils.

Some definitions state the boundary as "being able to see the fossil with the naked eye", other state it as "being able to see the details of the fossil with the naked eye", and yet others state it as "being able to see the fossil with the naked eye or low-powered microscopes".

On this forum the prefix "micro" is thrown - for want of a better word - around a lot, even when it disobeys official definitions (which are still incredibly ambiguous!). What do you guys think is the range typically associated with microfossils, and what do we use here? 

When will the world of palaeontology adopt consistent measurements and definitions across parties!? :P

ps: yes that was a subtle dig at the inch / yard measurements at the end there! :heartylaugh:

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

I understood it was any small fossil that a microscope is needed to see properly.  

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

36 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I tink it should be sorta teeny weeny, ya know?

Sorry @Tidgy's Dad and @gristlejaw - I think I choose this definition over you guys...

Can we get a Wikipedia change to this, too?

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

40 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I understood it was any small fossil that a microscope is needed to see properly.  

This is what I thought, too, but there are so many conflicting definitions.

Due to the ambiguity, it's really to the palaeontologist(s) discretion to define their own definition of "micro", which will be consistently used throughout their collection - however, that being said - please use this definition! (joking, of course!)