Early hyena skull

Sofyar

Hey guys!

I wanted to get your opinion on an early hyena skull I found online in terms of its quality and preservation, and how much do you think it should be worth. Thanks!

ljttnog1omn71.jpg

okua3rm0omn71.jpg

thcnafm0omn71.jpg

0yp2edm0omn71.jpg

a4hpldm0omn71.jpg

blryrdt0omn71.jpg

1sgdfhz0omn71.jpg

pkm6el51omn71.jpg

g8opw6c1omn71.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Where does it come from (not dealer, formation!)?

4 minutes ago, Sofyar said:

and how much do you think it should be worth.

Sorry, no monetary evaluations given here.

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

I am sorry I didn't know the question was because it's an auction I will know from now on I'm new here. About the source of the fossil I inquired I should get an answer soon! 

• Thank You 1

Looks like an Adcrocuta from Hezheng, China to me.  It also looks like that there are much repairs done to the skull.  It's easy to see if we use a UV light on the specimen, though I know we may not have the benefit of doing that for specimen sold online.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

On 9/17/2021 at 3:33 AM, Crazyhen said:

Looks like an Adcrocuta from Hezheng, China to me.  It also looks like that there are much repairs done to the skull.  It's easy to see if we use a UV light on the specimen, though I know we may not have the benefit of doing that for specimen sold online.

It's confirmed to be from the Gansu (Xiagou) formation in China. Yes I would be unable to put it under my UV light unless I pay for it. Honestly though I could see the repair done to parts of the skull and teeth but as this is a skull I was imagining it to be normal and almost impossible to find one without any repair done to it. Also it's almost soil empty. I would also imagine a skull with minimal repair would be very much out of my price range.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:54 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

The skull comes from China, the Gansu (Xiagou) formation!

• Thank You 1

On 9/19/2021 at 8:38 AM, Sofyar said:

It's confirmed to be from the Gansu (Xiagou) formation in China. Yes I would be unable to put it under my UV light unless I pay for it. Honestly though I could see the repair done to parts of the skull and teeth but as this is a skull I was imagining it to be normal and almost impossible to find one without any repair done to it. Also it's almost soil empty. I would also imagine a skull with minimal repair would be very much out of my price range.

Yes, Hezheng is a county of Gansu Province.  It has many mammal fossils.

• Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Yes, Hezheng is a county of Gansu Province.  It has many mammal fossils.

I won the auction! I will check it under my UV light when I get it but honestly the repair that WAS done is pretty obvious but it's honestly not too bad for what I paid for it, so I don't really expect any surprises

• Enjoyed 1

9 minutes ago, Sofyar said:

I won the auction! I will check it under my UV light when I get it but honestly the repair that WAS done is pretty obvious but it's honestly not too bad for what I paid for it, so I don't really expect any surprises

I got a skull with much repairs too.  When I put it under UV, it shows many repaired parts.  See this link:

• Enjoyed 1

3 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

I got a skull with much repairs too.  When I put it under UV, it shows many repaired parts.  See this link:

Thanks for sharing!

I extensive reconstruction/sculpting and casting through out. The right side has numerous air bubbles visible. Ironically there is additional reconstruction near the right zygomatic. Lots of tool marks.

I believe this to be around 90% plaster of paris. The matrix is too uniform in grain and color. The fossil itself is too white, plaster of paris white to be exact. The holes in the mandible are a result of the casting being too thin. I have made the exact same mistake with museum casts.

The teeth appear real, but I see a composite of casts of actual fossils with teeth shoehorned in. I would avoid this "too good to be true" specimen if it is being sold as an actual fossil. To claim it is a fossil would be misleading, if not fraudulent in my opinion.

If sold as a reproduction, cast or composite, it is a fair display piece, but the bright plaster white color and obvious tool and mold marks, plus the numerous air bubbles expose it for what it is, a fairly skillful bit of art. I'd pay about the cost of a carton of cigarettes in Los Angeles for it. With a bit more work it could be a very nice display piece.

Edited by LabRatKing
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

I extensive reconstruction/sculpting and casting through out. The right side has numerous air bubbles visible. Ironically there is additional reconstruction near the right zygomatic. Lots of tool marks.

I believe this to be around 90% plaster of paris. The matrix is too uniform in grain and color. The fossil itself is too white, plaster of paris white to be exact. The holes in the mandible are a result of the casting being too thin. I have made the exact same mistake with museum casts.

The teeth appear real, but I see a composite of casts of actual fossils with teeth shoehorned in. I would avoid this "too good to be true" specimen if it is being sold as an actual fossil. To claim it is a fossil would be misleading, if not fraudulent in my opinion.

If sold as a reproduction, cast or composite, it is a fair display piece, but the bright plaster white color and obvious tool and mold marks, plus the numerous air bubbles expose it for what it is, a fairly skillful bit of art. I'd pay about the cost of a carton of cigarettes in Los Angeles for it. With a bit more work it could be a very nice display piece.

Well it was purchased for quite more than that but I have a UV light and cat test everything when it gets here. It was bought on Catawiki so I'm surprised at what you are saying since they have a "customer guarantee" of sorts but if things are as you say when I check it when it gets here I will get in touch with them for a refund. 

8 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Also if it all comes to it I will just lick the whole thing to see if it sticks :heartylaugh:

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1