Fresh Ammonite Fossil

VeniceMom

We actually found this about 1.5 years ago, just before moving to Florida. (Moved here a year ago). My son got it while he was at my parent's house in the outskirts of east DFW (we lived in north DFW, they lived in east DFW - we both relocated to FL). Their area was well known for dinosaur bones and the likes, which is super crazy lol!! Common to dig them up in yards while doing fences and whatnot. 

Anyway - my stepdad took my son to the cul-de-sac (2 houses down), one day where they were starting to build more houses.  Kiddo wanted to check out the dirt & rock piles... He ended finding this. It's a 14 inch wide ammonite 4 inches tall. Haven't weighed. (carried it home himself, when he was 9 lol). Sorry, it's totally uncleaned, besides light brushing... because we haven't known what to do... Weren't sure if you treat it like shells with light bleach water or if that will destroy it?! Help, please, and thank you!

I'm on mobile, so can't follow all the photo protocol ATM. As such, only posting 2 photos for now so it doesn't bog down browsers when opening. I'll optimize in a in a bit when I'm on PC. (Not sure that there's many more to post right now anyway, although I'm happy to).

PXL_20210918_043543499.jpg

PXL_20210918_043610366.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

That is a great find for a young collector. These fossils don’t require any stabilization and prep is limited to removing the matrix from the umbilicus (central whorls that get smaller and deeper). You can do this with a small chisel and a hammer, or leave it as it is.

Can you provide a more specific location for the find? Even a city will help. This will allow for identification. I have a couple IDs for it but the location is going to be the deciding factor as the 2 possibilities come from different rock formations.

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

That is a great find for a young collector. These fossils don’t require any stabilization and prep is limited to removing the matrix from the umbilicus (central whorls that get smaller and deeper). You can do this with a small chisel and a hammer, or leave it as it is.

Can you provide a more specific location for the find? Even a city will help. This will allow for identification. I have a couple IDs for it but the location is going to be the deciding factor as the 2 possibilities come from different rock formations.

Thank you very much! 

Here is a map showing where it was found that I had posted last year (when someone was asking for a place to try hunting). It's technically Newark, but it's just west of 287, a little north of Avondale, where construction was going on at the end of a subdivision called Chisolm Springs (it would have been found on the north/west side of the subdivision where the LGI homes are now built/being built). 

9 hours ago, VeniceMom said:

Thank you very much! 

Here is a map…

Thanks for the map, that was very helpful.

This is an Eopachydiscus marcianus ammonite. The formation that it came from is the Duck Creek Limestone, Lower Cretaceous (100-102 mya).

• Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 11:44 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Thanks for the map, that was very helpful.

This is an Eopachydiscus marcianus ammonite. The formation that it came from is the Duck Creek Limestone, Lower Cretaceous (100-102 mya).

Thank you so much for the information!! Kiddo will be excited to know!!