Are these "black rocks" fossils, pumice, slag? I'm so confused

natwell19

hello all,

I found a lot of this specific type of rock and I thought they could be fossils. Now I'm not so sure. They have what appears to have a spongy inside and flat outside, on the sides that are still there. I tried to take pictures to show them well. A few of the pieces have two "lobes" at one end and the lobes appear to be splitting. They are all the same color, though some are dry and some are damp still. I was trying to figure this out on my own, and I thought it could possibly be coal (if not a fossil), but i really don't know how to test it. My husband did try to light it on fire... it did not catch fire.  If you need more pictures, let me know. I got these in a river in Williamson County Tennessee. I believe the only dinosaur we have that's been found is hadrosaur specifically edmontosaurs. There have been multiple types of megafauna mammals like sloths, rhinos, and mammoths. 

If these are nothing, I will be sad, but at least I'll know not to pick these up anymore! LOL. 

Thanks! 

IMG_4267.jpeg

IMG_4268.jpeg

IMG_4269.jpeg

IMG_4265.jpeg

IMG_4260.jpeg

IMG_4308.heic

Edited by natwell19

11 minutes ago, natwell19 said:

specific type of rock

Igneous I believe. Volcanic to specify one notch. It all but rules out fossils.

• I Agree 1

I agree with @Rockwood, these don't look like fossils - possibly pumice or some other similar stone. Happy Hunting! :)

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

OK. I think I finally got it. Apple changes their picture setting and I couldn't figure out how to set it back to jpeg... These are actually the pictures I wanted to post before..... The previous pictures had some of the same things, but not all of them. 

IMG_4308.jpg

fossil7.jpg

fossil89.jpg

fossil10.jpg

fossil11.jpg

fossil2.jpg

fossil 5.jpg

fossil9.jpg

IMG_4258.jpeg

IMG_4264.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

fossil3.jpg

IMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4275.jpeg

IMG_4274.jpeg

yes, they are all the same.  I had stumbled onto the coal thing right before I posted, but I still wanted to ask because I wasn't sure. Thank you!