Megalodon tooth

Sofyar

Nice huge tooth! Im also pretty sure the seller (and based on what i see) dont sell restored teeth unless stated, so really good for a tooth of that size. Congrats!

2 hours ago, carch_23 said:

Nice huge tooth! Im also pretty sure the seller (and based on what i see) dont sell restored teeth unless stated, so really good for a tooth of that size. Congrats!

Yes they are very nice and can always be counted on! I also wanted to ask regarding the root lobes why one is shorter than the other. It's obviously not broken but I was just interested if you know. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Praefectus said:

+1 for real tooth. It is a nice big one. Should make a good addition to your collection. 

Also thanks for your answer!

19 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@Sofyar 

Please do not post dealer names.  Thank you.  ;)

Oh I dont think he did when I replied. I was just assuming as Im pretty sure I saw the exact same tooth on an online dealer's website ahah. :)

24 minutes ago, Sofyar said:

Yes they are very nice and can always be counted on! I also wanted to ask regarding the root lobes why one is shorter than the other. It's obviously not broken but I was just interested if you know. Thanks!

Good question. Im actually unsure of that. All I know is that colour changes depending on location/ preservation. But from what I can see all original and natural :)

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, carch_23 said:

Oh I dont think he did when I replied. I was just assuming as Im pretty sure I saw the exact same tooth on an online dealer's website ahah. :)

Oh I thought you recognised the tooth stand haha.

19 minutes ago, carch_23 said:

Good question. Im actually unsure of that. All I know is that colour changes depending on location/ preservation. But from what I can see all original and natural :)

I was told it's connected to the position of the tooth in the mouth. The shorter distal root length indicates this tooth came from the left side of the shark's mouth (shark POV) 

44 minutes ago, Sofyar said:

Oh I thought you recognised the tooth stand haha.

And that, and the overall photos as well ahah.

Oh cool that makes sense. Always thought different root shapes were just a pathological thing lol. Nice to learn something new!

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sofyar said:

Very nice tooth indeed.... obviously not in pristine condition but at over 6" options are fairly limited haha. I'd love to see my 5" tooth sitting on top of it, the extra 1.3" in slant height will make a huge difference in the amount of physical tooth! Also, the fact is isn't in pristine condition would indicate is hasn't been restored in any way which is good! 

It is hard to get good information on tooth shape/location for upper/lower jaw (not all anterior lower teeth look the same). I could be wrong but this is a lower jaw anterior tooth. The difference in root lobes are likely due to it being not perfectly centred while still being anterior.
I have a complete Mako jaw, the anterior teeth (the ones that aren't directly at the front) have very asymmetrical roots - I'm happy to take a pic and post it if you'd like to see. Totally different genus but seeing it might help you place your tooth in the jaw of a Megalodon :) 

Edited by Gareth_
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gareth_ said:

Very nice tooth indeed.... obviously not in pristine condition but at over 6" options are fairly limited haha. I'd love to see my 5" tooth sitting on top of it, the extra 1.3" in slant height will make a huge difference in the amount of physical tooth! Also, the fact is isn't in pristine condition would indicate is hasn't been restored in any way which is good! 

It is hard to get good information on tooth shape for upper/lower jaw. I could be wrong but this is a lower jaw anterior tooth. The difference in root lobes are likely due to it being not perfectly centred while still being anterior.
I have a complete Mako jaw, the anterior teeth (the ones that aren't directly at the front) have very asymmetrical roots - I'm happy to take a pic and post it if you'd like to see. Totally different genus but seeing it might help you place your tooth in the jaw of a Megalodon :) 

Thanks for your long and informative answer! If it's not too much of a hassle I would love to see it! And yes I have yet to see a pristine tooth over 6 inches long, and I imagine they would cost thousands of dollars. Also it's really weird for me to talk in Inches if I'm honest :heartylaugh:

52 minutes ago, Sofyar said:

Thanks for your long and informative answer! If it's not too much of a hassle I would love to see it! And yes I have yet to see a pristine tooth over 6 inches long, and I imagine they would cost thousands of dollars. Also it's really weird for me to talk in Inches if I'm honest :heartylaugh:

No problem at all, that's what the forum is all about :)

Yeah, thousands is right.... they do fetch a premium price! Understandably though.

Obviously the Mako is very different to Megalodon but this just shows teeth aren't a perfect symmetrical shape at the front and get more hooked as they go back. Quite the opposite on this Mako. The triangular shape almost gets more symmetrical the further back in the mouth and working out the tooth layout in an extinct sharks mouth is complicated. 

The pics show in order - the very front tooth, 2nd tooth, 3rd tooth then the rest. Lower jaw. 

The jaw needs some work to clean it up and remove excess gum - not a small project and it needs to be done right. 

My 6 year old is pictured for scale :) Not a small shark! But compared to my Otodus obliquus or Otodus  megalodon teeth, they're tiny! 

edit - sorry the pics are a bit blurry, didn't notice how bad they were on my phone screen when I took them. Now I'm on my laptop they look terrible! I think glass cover of the camera lens has muck on it.

241410036_976299573219222_4011861618008987230_n.jpg

241810065_222088199802440_321854315563882478_n.jpg

241419970_538810963881524_3641368103741992562_n.jpg

241975604_657063828595577_7339908455049830632_n.jpg

241447780_1061704911033527_353848797470536905_n.jpg

242172662_935634817031800_8789115319420098520_n.jpg

Edited by Gareth_
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

10 hours ago, carch_23 said:

Oh I dont think he did when I replied.

I edited the dealer name from the post.  No worries.  ;)

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 9/19/2021 at 10:40 AM, Gareth_ said:

No problem at all, that's what the forum is all about :)

Yeah, thousands is right.... they do fetch a premium price! Understandably though.

Obviously the Mako is very different to Megalodon but this just shows teeth aren't a perfect symmetrical shape at the front and get more hooked as they go back. Quite the opposite on this Mako. The triangular shape almost gets more symmetrical the further back in the mouth and working out the tooth layout in an extinct sharks mouth is complicated. 

The pics show in order - the very front tooth, 2nd tooth, 3rd tooth then the rest. Lower jaw. 

The jaw needs some work to clean it up and remove excess gum - not a small project and it needs to be done right. 

My 6 year old is pictured for scale :) Not a small shark! But compared to my Otodus obliquus or Otodus  megalodon teeth, they're tiny! 

edit - sorry the pics are a bit blurry, didn't notice how bad they were on my phone screen when I took them. Now I'm on my laptop they look terrible! I think glass cover of the camera lens has muck on it.

241410036_976299573219222_4011861618008987230_n.jpg

241810065_222088199802440_321854315563882478_n.jpg

241419970_538810963881524_3641368103741992562_n.jpg

241975604_657063828595577_7339908455049830632_n.jpg

241447780_1061704911033527_353848797470536905_n.jpg

242172662_935634817031800_8789115319420098520_n.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing! Yeah that's not a small shark and the jaw is very impressive! It is interesting how the teeth in the back are shaped compared to the teeth at the front and how much more symmetrical the back teeth are. Reconstructing an entire animal especially as big as Obliquus and especially Megalodon using only their teeth and modern (suspected) relatives for reference is understandably difficult haha. I don't even believe we ever found a fossilized Jaw of a Meg yet only fractured parts of some, not much to work with. I have some nice Obliquus teeth as well but obviously I eagerly await the arrival of my new Meg tooth. I also have some really exciting Trilobites on the way and an Adcrocuta skull! (an extinct early hyena genus from the Miocene). I actually posted the skull here you can go take a look if you want! And if you want me to send pictures of the Trilobites I would love to as well! Again thanks for sharing, and your 6 year old is adorable! Must be exciting growing up in a house full of fossils!

On 9/20/2021 at 11:26 PM, Sofyar said:

Thank you so much for sharing! Yeah that's not a small shark and the jaw is very impressive! It is interesting how the teeth in the back are shaped compared to the teeth at the front and how much more symmetrical the back teeth are. Reconstructing an entire animal especially as big as Obliquus and especially Megalodon using only their teeth and modern (suspected) relatives for reference is understandably difficult haha. I don't even believe we ever found a fossilized Jaw of a Meg yet only fractured parts of some, not much to work with. I have some nice Obliquus teeth as well but obviously I eagerly await the arrival of my new Meg tooth. I also have some really exciting Trilobites on the way and an Adcrocuta skull! (an extinct early hyena genus from the Miocene). I actually posted the skull here you can go take a look if you want! And if you want me to send pictures of the Trilobites I would love to as well! Again thanks for sharing, and your 6 year old is adorable! Must be exciting growing up in a house full of fossils!

No problem at all :)

I have no idea how accurate this jaw is, but I'd like to see it in person and have a look at it from all angles. If you notice the plaque on the top left, this jaw is apparently in a museum and they have it mounted upside down! 

Otodus obliquus

Otodus-reconstruction-e1542127752305.jpg

On the topic of tooth location in the jaw, I have 3 examples + your tooth to look at, below is just speculation.

Your tooth and my brown tooth (a whisker under 5") - lower anterior.

Tooth with a slight hook on it (3.78") - lower lateral but closer to anterior.

Tooth with the broken tip (a whisker over 4" - sadly, I no longer own it) - lower lateral but closer to posterior.

I also have a posterior tooth, but there is no doubt that is a posterior tooth!

Thoughts anyone, are my guesses correct? Am I way off? 

Occasionally my kids will ask about the fossils I have but mostly, they don't care :(
Start a thread in "Member Collections" and you can post up all the fossil goodies you have! 

20210820_011403.jpg

20210820_011429.jpg

20210820_011029.jpg

20210820_011137.jpg

20210807_234251.jpg

20210807_234124.jpg

Edited by Gareth_

28 minutes ago, Gareth_ said:

No problem at all :)

I have no idea how accurate this jaw is, but I'd like to see it in person and have a look at it from all angles. If you notice the plaque on the top left, this jaw is apparently in a museum and they have it mounted upside down! 

Otodus obliquus

Otodus-reconstruction-e1542127752305.jpg

On the topic of tooth location in the jaw, I have 3 examples + your tooth to look at, below is just speculation.

Your tooth and my brown tooth (a whisker under 5") - lower anterior.

Tooth with a slight hook on it (3.78") - lower lateral but closer to anterior.

Tooth with the broken tip (a whisker over 4" - sadly, I no longer own it) - lower lateral but closer to posterior.

I also have a posterior tooth, but there is no doubt that is a posterior tooth!

Thoughts anyone, are my guesses correct? Am I way off? 

Occasionally my kids will ask about the fossils I have but mostly, they don't care :(
Start a thread in "Member Collections" and you can post up all the fossil goodies you have! 

20210820_011403.jpg

20210820_011429.jpg

20210820_011029.jpg

20210820_011137.jpg

20210807_234251.jpg

20210807_234124.jpg

Very interesting. If we are completely honest alot of Paleontology is speculation untill you get more fossils to confirm or disprove a theory that's what makes it intriguing! That 5 incher is REALLY nice! Superb serrations and enamel the tip is unworn, amazing! Shark must have barely used it before it fell haha

18 hours ago, Sofyar said:

Very interesting. If we are completely honest alot of Paleontology is speculation untill you get more fossils to confirm or disprove a theory that's what makes it intriguing! That 5 incher is REALLY nice! Superb serrations and enamel the tip is unworn, amazing! Shark must have barely used it before it fell haha

Never a truer statement.... like any science, it's about the journey of discovery, not an end goal. Learning is never complete!

Thanks.... the enamel could be in better condition, it's not shiny like the other 2 but it is complete. The 4" tooth (missing tip) by far has the sharpest serrations of the 3.. still wish I kept it haha. The guy I sold it to made a pendant out of it