found near Arkansas river in little rock

found2turnout

Maybe chert. 

Pictures of all sides would be helpful. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

hehehe. something in the air. here is another piece...like I said, several pieces. not flimsy, wouldnt chip or break without serious force.   more texture than the photo reveals, shiny but not smooth...I dont even know that makes sense.  uhm...shrug.

20210919_202938.jpg

20210919_203005.jpg

Sorry- I don't see the percussive flaking, even with wear or basal symmetry that drills are known for. Could be there, but not with the lighting in these photos.....I think its a chipped/rolled piece of chert........  Bone

• I Agree 3

18 minutes ago, found2turnout said:

really, thanks. I actually didn't know that chert was bone. so, thanks tenfold 

Oops. Bone is his signature. Chert can replace bone (I imagine), but they aren't the same.

• I Agree 1

On 9/19/2021 at 11:32 PM, Bonehunter said:

Sorry- I don't see the percussive flaking, even with wear or basal symmetry that drills are known for. Could be there, but not with the lighting in these photos.....I think its a chipped/rolled piece of chert........  Bone

NA drills are NOT known for percussive [sic] flaking.  They would be shaped by pressure flaking, not percussion flaking.  These putative drills are not pristine, I grant you; but, the wear, even the breakage, seem about right for a well-used tool.  

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

5 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

NA drills are NOT known for percussive [sic] flaking.  They would be shaped by pressure flaking, not percussion flaking.  These putative drills are not pristine, I grant you; but, the wear, even the breakage, seem about right for a well-used tool.  

Find a dull drill and compare it to what would act as the cutting edges here. The rounded edges on a flattened off facet could be an indication. Harry seems to have a point.

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

True that for fine work, but not the initial overall shape, which doesn't demonstrate either percussion (initial) or pressure flaking- there's no symmetrical work, even accounting for water wear...., but still.....................I don't see it.............. but would encourage found2 to keep looking-its a good start!!!    Bone

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Oops. Bone is his signature. Chert can replace bone (I imagine), but they aren't the same.

and that thought actually crossed my mind before I hit submit. thanks for the correction. I'm about to research "chert"

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

These putative drills are not pristine, I grant you; but, the wear, even the breakage, seem about right for a well-used tool.  

I'll agree with @Bonehunter and disagree with @Harry Pristis.

Even well used, crude stone drills retain most of the purposeful pressure flaking it takes to form the tool.  @found2turnout 's first piece shows the glossy surface of a material that looks like it would easily be pressure flaked, but flaking patterns are not evident.  Also, the crevice, or crack, doesn't lend itself to the success of usage or the process of pressure flaking.  

The second piece is far too randomly fractured to suggest human alteration.  I've found some gnarly stone artifacts before, but I don't think this one measures up.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

this information is helpful and I appreciate it. I mentioned I have many pieces that are very similar, all found in the same general location. I'm going to email ualr with photos and see if they might wanna take a gander. thanks, all.