A Taiwan fossil hunt

FF7_Yuffie

Hello,

So after yesterdays unsuccessful hunt and cut short because of rain. Headed south today. Plan was to go looking for crabs, but luck let me down again-- river too dangerous. So went for shells and sea urchins instead.

Beautiful place, but I didn't take photos because I left my phone in the car because we had to wade (lucky I did. I slipped and ended up hip deep)

Lots of the rocks had various shell fossils. There was one big rock with about a dozen big , almost complete scallop fossils. I left it as is. Would have been nice to have one, but didnt feel right to destroy it to get one.

Instead I collected  from smaller rocks. Got a few scallops and a partial echinoid. I also found a small, almost complete one but I cant find it now. I hope its buried in my bag, but I fear I must have lost it.

Other than on the big rock, most of the shells were partial. Shame I couldn't get a photo of the big rock with scallop fossils and some of the other rocks full of partial shells but with wading to get there, I wasn't gonna risk taking my phone.

At the end of the day, I didn't collect a huge amount. Just a few little pieces for my shelf as little examples of what was there.

I took back a nice sized scallop fossil (unfortunately not complete) a matrix with a few shells which split but which I have glued, a partial shell and a big partial sea urchin. Also a small bit of coral. Only bit I found there. Hope I find the smaller urchin hiding somewhere, but I fear it is gone.

Hope one day can get to the crab place. Rain keeps foiling me by making the river too fast.

20210919_182308.jpg  20210919_182842.jpg  

20210919_182350.jpg

20210919_183128.jpg  20210919_182809.jpg

20210919_183906.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

Pity you didn't have your phone with you, as this is probably the best way to record pieces - such as the one you described full of scallop shells - that you can't take along (may be you could try placing your phone in a zip lock bag in order to take it next time - the phone itself should be splash proof, and the bag should keep out most of the water in case things go wrong). Also a shame that you only found so little. Still, I think you brought back quite a few nice pieces, so at least the trip paid off ;) Thanks for the trip report, and I'm looking forward to the one from your next hunt! :D

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

20 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Pity you didn't have your phone with you, as this is probably the best way to record pieces - such as the one you described full of scallop shells - that you can't take along (may be you could try placing your phone in a zip lock bag in order to take it next time - the phone itself should be splash proof, and the bag should keep out most of the water in case things go wrong). Also a shame that you only found so little. Still, I think you brought back quite a few nice pieces, so at least the trip paid off ;) Thanks for the trip report, and I'm looking forward to the one from your next hunt! :D

Thanks.

Yeah, I will have to get a waterproof case or something. A lot of the fossil places here are in river beds and streams, so it's something I would find useful. It was a nice trip, to a place I hadn't been before. Hope to go again somewhere soon. 

• Enjoyed 1

Here we have a river level website that one can search before heading out to collect. Perhaps your geological survey has one as well. Saves time and frustration. What age are your fossils? 

• Enjoyed 1

23 hours ago, Plax said:

Here we have a river level website that one can search before heading out to collect. Perhaps your geological survey has one as well. Saves time and frustration. What age are your fossils? 

Thanks for the suggestion. It will be worth a look. This area is Eocene.

Edited by FF7_Yuffie