Unknown Ordovician fossils from the town of New Castle in Craig County, VA

fossil_lover_2277

Hi all, this past Sunday I went fossil hunting in the Jefferson National Forest near New Castle VA and found an unknown compression fossil. The pic of the unknown fossil doesn’t have a scale, but the fossil is 6.4 millimeters in length. Any help IDing it would be appreciated!

Btw I also found several plates covered in mineralized and carbonized brachiopod compression fossils on the trip, but these were in mudstone sedimentary rock...fossiliferous shales and limestones are known from the area, but I didn’t see anything on fossiliferous mudstone (gray-brown claystone to be exact) based on the publications I read through. I’m not an expert in Ordovician fossils/rocks, can someone comment possibly on why I might have found fossiliferous mudstones, if you are familiar with this area? Also, can anyone comment on possibly the genus/species of brachiopods these might be? Thanks!!!

C7EB0B01-5C9C-499D-8AA9-41C1818C8725.jpeg

131A2F2D-3B38-4EEC-8F2F-AD7CCE5B0868.jpeg

ED6E844F-6BBB-4FFB-8BC8-7D46FE79F4E1.jpeg

Edited by Lando_Calrissian_4tw

• fossil_lover_2277 changed the title to Unknown Ordovician fossils from the town of New Castle in Craig County, VA
3 hours ago, Lando_Calrissian_4tw said:

Btw I also found several plates covered in carbonized brachiopod compression fossils on the trip, but these were in mudstone sedimentary rock..

Mud/silt/sand stone is likely what you have posted here. Brachiopod fossils are more likely preserved as a dark mineral. The carbon content of a shell is not significant in the preservation. The first photo looks more like a plant fossil, but it does also have the shape of a bryozoan. Wait for other opinions.

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Lando_Calrissian_4tw said:

Hi all, this past Sunday I went fossil hunting in the Jefferson National Forest near New Castle VA and found an unknown compression fossil. The pic of the unknown fossil doesn’t have a scale, but the fossil is 6.4 millimeters in length. Any help IDing it would be appreciated!

Btw I also found several plates covered in carbonized brachiopod compression fossils on the trip, but these were in mudstone sedimentary rock...fossiliferous shales and limestones are known from the area, but I didn’t see anything on fossiliferous mudstone (gray-brown claystone to be exact) based on the publications I read through. I’m not an expert in Ordovician fossils/rocks, can someone comment possibly on why I might have found fossiliferous mudstones, if you are familiar with this area? Also, can anyone comment on possibly the genus/species of brachiopods these might be? Thanks!!!

C7EB0B01-5C9C-499D-8AA9-41C1818C8725.jpeg

131A2F2D-3B38-4EEC-8F2F-AD7CCE5B0868.jpeg

Interesting.  Sponge?

• Thank You 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Mud/silt/sand stone is likely what you have posted here. Brachiopod fossils are more likely preserved as a dark mineral. The carbon content of a shell is not significant in the preservation. The first photo looks more like a plant fossil, but it does also have the shape of a bryozoan. Wait for other opinions.

Brachiopods have tissues made of organics too though, they’re not just a shell. They’re biological organisms. The picture I provided doesn’t show it well, the other plates do. There are black residues consistent with carbonized remains, “soft” tissues preserve that way all the time in compression fossils. But sure, you can’t know for certain that’s what the residues are without analyzing them chemically. The shells themselves of course are likely preserved as a mineral as you say, in the pic they’re a pale yellowish-brown.

Edited by Lando_Calrissian_4tw
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

not significant

Guess it depends on more than I gave thought to.

39 minutes ago, Lando_Calrissian_4tw said:

Brachiopods have tissues made of organics too though, they’re not just a shell. They’re biological organisms. The picture I provided doesn’t show it well, the other plates do. There are black residues consistent with carbonized remains, “soft” tissues preserve that way all the time in compression fossils. But sure, you can’t know for certain that’s what the residues are without analyzing them chemically. The shells themselves of course are likely preserved as a mineral as you say, in the pic they’re a pale yellowish-brown.

Good point.

• Enjoyed 1

The brachiopods look to be from the order Rhynconellida.

Mystery item cropped, enlarged, and contrasted:

C7EB0B01-5C9C-499D-8AA9-41C1818C8725.thumb.jpeg.e3a03f981a43efc1de233ee870e07db1.jpeg

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

The brachiopods look to be from the order Rhynconellida.

Mystery item cropped, enlarged, and contrasted:

C7EB0B01-5C9C-499D-8AA9-41C1818C8725.thumb.jpeg.e3a03f981a43efc1de233ee870e07db1.jpeg

Thanks for the better pic, def helps visualize the fossil