Indonesian Meg tooth, any restoration?

TeethCollector

First and foremost..... :default_faint:

There are big Megalodon teeth and then there are big Megalodon teeth, I'd say (just compared to the hand) that falls in to the latter!

Restorations are hard to pick if they're done right.... I've seen pics of restored teeth and there is simply no way to tell just by looking. A UV light will tell a different story I think or wiping the tooth with acetone (this will melt repairs but also ruin a nice repair - so a catch 22 there).

Smaller teeth are not typically worth a restoration because even in pristine condition, they don't fetch huge money. This tooth is definitely in the size range to be restored!
In saying that, the tooth is not perfect which works in your favour - there is a chip on the blade, surely something that would be fixed in restoration. The area between the bourlette and blade are not perfect either - again restoration would surely make that look "more perfect". 

From what I have read, serrations are very, very difficult to recreate. From the level of detail in them I'd say the serrated edges are free from any work
From my own observations, fossilised enamel makes a very distinctive sound when lightly touching another piece of fossilised enamel - a very glassy type sound. If possible, gently tapping the crown all over would surely find a "dead" sounding spot if it had filler and paint. 

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you @Gareth_ !

This is a 5 7/8 inch tooth.. incredible size. Relatively cheaper compared to other similar sized tooth due to incompleteness :D

29 minutes ago, TeethCollector said:

Thank you @Gareth_ !

This is a 5 7/8 inch tooth.. incredible size. Relatively cheaper compared to other similar sized tooth due to incompleteness :D

"incompleteness" haha, I'd happily pay much less for that little chip

I honestly thought from the pics that was going to be 6" or over, but regardless it is still a very large tooth!
I'd love to see my 125mm (just a whisker under 5") tooth sitting on top of yours.... the extra volume of tooth you get for a little extra in slant height is staggering 

• Thank You 1

The tooth arrived.

Preservation of enamel, bourette, and serrations are just wonderful. 

The tooth is solid even after I poured 100% acetone directly onto the tooth... I see no problem with UV light test as well.

The only problem is that the root is kinda soft. I can see some dirt coming out when I scratch the root using my nails. 

20210923_112052.jpg

20210923_112057.jpg

20210923_123500.jpg

20210923_123508.jpg

20210923_123515.jpg

20210923_125257.jpg

20210923_125303.jpg

• Enjoyed 1