Petrified Turtle Remains?

Ima Surchin

Study the pictures others have shown you and other posts on the TFF,  for example, put turtle in the search box and you will see posts made about turtle fossils, usually just shell but sometimes limb bones. You should have a nice pile of chert by now and you should see similarities that let you ID rocks as chert.

Edited by Lone Hunter
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ima Surchin said:

How can you tell the difference in chert, and something that has been petrified?

The most useful thing may be to visit a museum or fossil club. There is nothing like seeing it in person.

• Enjoyed 1

Agree with what was said above.

For your future photos, use a ruler in inch or cm, or click on my last link in my signature, print the document and place your samples on it ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

@Ima Surchin

You should really join a local gem/fossil/mineral/ club in your area. 

It's the best way to meet people who know more about the subject, and become familiar with what can actually be found in your local area.

Creatures don't generally "petrify" as complete bodies or body parts.  Hard parts like bones, shells, and teeth are what are commonly found as fossils.

Fossils of sea creatures like turtles usually only leave bones. So that is what you are going to find, not flippers or heads, but arm bones and skulls.

But it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with what can be found in your area to begin with, to manage your expectations.

A big portion of paleontology is figuring out what aged rocks are exposed in your area, and what types of fossils have previously been found. 

Good luck.  :) 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me