Turtle fossil still in ground?

Ima Surchin

Sorry for the let down, but this is truly not a turtle fossil.  These photos don't seem to show any fossils.

• I Agree 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hello @Ima Surchin! Thank you for posting some in situ images, this really helps with identifying the rock unit your finds have been coming from. I found this excellent geologic map of Texas, here: https://txpub.usgs.gov/txgeology/. This should help with the identification of what formation you have been working in, based solely on situation alone. I have also attached a picture of the area for your convenience:

1349425215_ScreenShot2021-09-21at6_25_13AM.png.8bca243f8e2ad3b69af50b025400376a.png

I have glanced over the area, and it seems the only fossiliferous formations in the area are the Blaine Formation (Permian - Pb on map), the Comanche Peak Limestone (Cretaceous - Kfr), the Dockum Group (Triassic - TRd) the Edwards Limestone (Cretaceous - Kfr), the Ogallala Formation (Pliocene - Po-M-o), the Walnut Formation (Cretaceous - Kfr), and the Whitehorse Sandstone (Permian - Pwh). Based on the sediment you are digging in (gravel and sand), I would guess you are working in the Antler Sands (Cretaceous - Ka). This formation has provided fossils in other states, but not from where you are located.

I am sorry to say, but it looks like you have another rock. It would probably be worth your while to research the formations listed above, and use papers to find localities where fossils have been collected before. It would also be a good idea to join a local fossil club, this should really help you out. I wish you luck in your future geological endeavors! :)

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher