Hell Creek dino tooth ID needed

DatFossilBoy

Hey guys,

My friend asked me what his tooth was, it’s from Hell Creek. My first thoughts were Nano or possibly Dakotaraptor.

The size of the tooth is 21mm and it has 2 serrations/mm on the distal side.

On the mesial, the serrations are worn off. It’s an anterior tooth.

Do you guys have any idea of an ID? Would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe @Troodon knows? Thank you and kind regards.

7385B6D2-3D9D-4760-AB96-527DE83B1B46.jpeg

D5860CF1-F987-48F5-A680-46C9EA1D5350.jpeg

EB482C49-2B3F-4241-ABCA-4EE2B4094B16.jpeg

D88B619F-661A-41E3-9D48-C8BE2D6DA2EC.jpeg

74C3DC9A-F7A7-4EE6-8EAE-CCBF0B3981BA.jpeg

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

The preservation is not typical of Hell Creek material.  Do you have a locality where its from?  State and county/town.

It’s from Carter County Montana

Teeth from carter co are typically dark chocolate but if thats the locality its indeterminate.   Have not seen that morphology described in the HC.

• I found this Informative 1

Wow, I've never seen that shape before.  Always have to consider it could be pathological variation or just abnormal growth.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I believe this tooth has been discussed before here:

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

1 hour ago, ThePhysicist said:

I believe this tooth has been discussed before here:

Yea I think it is the same tooth...amazing eye! I think DatFossilBoy may have a yellow light that gives the tooth a moroccan colour, as your link does show the chocolate colour Troodon describes. 

Edited by carch_23

I have been traveling.  Definitely interesting tooth.  This tooth has the shape of a number of Nanotyrannus teeth I have.  The mesial carina on them is void of serrations halfway up and then are serrated but most need a scope to see them.  This one might be pathological. Its not compressed enough to be a DR and the denticle shape in the prior topic also support that call.  I think its Tyrannosaurid but would call it indeterminate.