Spiny trilobite, real?

niekfermont

Hello, I'm following this spiny trilobite.

Is there anything i should be wary of? How do you think this specimen looks.

Thanks in advance !

8cd976a1-a83b-438a-832a-6197f49b1fd1.jpg

29d7482e-baca-4883-8e73-713989fb4b64.jpg

bdcdac98-df72-49ad-90b5-e78c383d8604.jpg

Price removed. Please keep in mind we do not provide valuations (and this is something all members agree to upon registering here).

It is not uncommon that the spines are prepared separately and reattached, or may be partially fabricated. This would be a Ceratarges sp.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hace 46 minutos, niekfermont dijo:

Hola, estoy siguiendo este trilobite espinoso.

¿Hay algo de lo que deba tener cuidado? ¿Cómo crees que se ve este espécimen?

Gracias por adelantado !

8cd976a1-a83b-438a-832a-6197f49b1fd1.jpg

29d7482e-baca-4883-8e73-713989fb4b64.jpg

bdcdac98-df72-49ad-90b5-e78c383d8604.jpg

Parece interesante, también me interesa saber lo que dicen los expertos en trilo. (¿Falso, restaurado? Etc, etc.).
Por favor no publique precios, si desea orientación sobre su valor de mercado, envíe un mensaje privado a los expertos, en caso de que puedan ayudarlo.
Gracias

Edited by Paleorunner

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Price removed. Please keep in mind we do not provide valuations (and this is something all members agree to upon registering here).

It is not uncommon that the spines are prepared separately and reattached, or may be partially fabricated. This would be a Ceratarges sp.

Wow, you went ahead answering while writing.

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

If this is the case. Is that really bad for the specimen? Or are prepped fossils seen as OK by the community ?

Bad for the specimen? Not necessarily in all cases! A lot of the excessively spiny trilobites from Morocco are exceptionally challenging to prepare, with the spines locked in very hard matrix. So, at times it is acceptable to break them off to prepare separately and reattach them later. That being said, those who prepare these without breaking the spines will produce a more premium specimen which then commands a higher value on account of labour time. 

Generally, the process begins by a kind of "hollowing out" of the area around the spines. Pictured here is my Comura bultyncki where it is mostly prepared, awaiting preparation of the spines. I have the option to break them for separate preparation, or to take much more time in preparing them attached. The latter will take at least 10 or more times longer to achieve. 

Also keep in mind that some restoration is normal and acceptable (if the seller acknowledges how much was done, and precisely where). 

4893C021-908F-4BCC-9BCD-C717FAC65410.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

18 minutes ago, niekfermont said:

Im sorry ill remember that for next time ! @Paleorunner Do you know who the experts on some of the fossils are? Or any way i can find them.

Keep in mind that the most knowledgeable trilos (experts) can best help you with regard to the quality, restoration, or falsity of the fossil.
  I commented on the private message, because it is the only way you can ask here, that kind of help.
Kane, he's one of them, maybe he can guide you.

• Thank You 1

Thanks, @Paleorunner. :) 

In this case, one of our members who prepares many of these Moroccan trilobites would prove invaluable to telling us more about this specimen with respect to any restoration, reattachment, etc. I'll tag @aeon.rocks.

• I found this Informative 2

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Spiny trilobite, real?
17 hours ago, niekfermont said:

Is that really bad for the specimen? Or are prepped fossils seen as OK by the community ?

Didn't see the topic, but talked on PM with niekfermont already, so I'll just add here (as Kane said): glueing spines is not bad for the specimen, sometimes you just need to break and glue back. Btw., thanks for the nice words Kane!

"Problem" of this specimen is not in restoration of the pygidium spines or the fact that spines are broken and glued back, but in a fast way... Not really a problem though, to be honest Ceratarges is not an easy bug to prep (and a well prepped one could cost you a lot of money), but here spines were removed to prep it fast (and sell cheaper), hits were blasted over and all secondary spines were lost, some tips of the spines were restored. Pretty normal prep, but not the best prepped Ceratarges and not the worst. Would be much better if spines were just prepped out and left in matrix imho. But that's just my opinion, I don't really get all this "flying prep" mania, seen to many spines break over the time after preparation.

Edited by aeon.rocks
  • I found this Informative 5