Need help with some local IDs

bamontgomery

I was a grad student at Mizzou from 2006-2012.  I wasn't really a rockhound at the time, but one of my fondest memories was fossil hunting with my father and grandfather when I was very young.  Because of that I took my son to a creek in Columbia around his third birthday to collect some.  I didn't really know what I was doing, and he mostly entertained himself by throwing rocks into the water.

A couple of days ago I found our rocks from the trip.  They had been in storage for a decade.  I'm still learning Illinois rocks where I now live, but know almost nothing about about Columbia finds.  I'll post some pictures here.  If anyone can tell me what we got, then I'd greatly appreciate it.  The pics are all from freshly washed and scrubbed stones.  If you'd rather see them dry then I can do that too.

Here's number one:

Edited by bamontgomery

Nice fossils! I believe that your first photo is a pair of crinoid stem external molds, with a worn internal mold on the right specimen. Your fourth photo is also an external mold of a crinoid stem. I think that your fifth specimen is a piece of chert, and I don't know what your sixth image is. Your seventh one looks like a few crinoid stems, and your last one looks like a brachiopod and crinoid piece is sticking out of it. Unfortunately, your second and third photos are not displaying. I will look forward to seeing what else you found! :)

The images are mostly out of focus, but I do see molds of crinoid stems and the crescent cross-sections of brachiopods (probably).  These actual fossils have dissolved leaving only the mold.  This appears to chert, probably from Mississippian age limestone.

7 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

The images are mostly out of focus, but I do see molds of crinoid stems and the crescent cross-sections of brachiopods (probably).  These actual fossils have dissolved leaving only the mold.  This appears to chert, probably from Mississippian age limestone.

Thanks.  I apologize for the photos.  I had tried taking them outside, but a group of bees had other ideas.  I had to hold them in order to prevent the shadow my body made standing over them, but it added a bit of shakiness to the image.  I'm also embarrassed that my pajama shorts showed up in almost every shot. :)

Is it all chert?

I agree with what was said earlier, but I don’t see sample number 2. Dry specimens avoid reflections and are often the best.

To allow us to try to identify your fossils, do not hold them in your hands, which are not good references of size and this adds some blur to the images. In addition, you have to give the sizes please.
If you don’t have a rule, click on my last link in my signature, print the graph paper and put your fossils on it before you take your pictures ;)

PS : For the problem of shadow, you should have turned or found an orientation with the side sun.

Coco
53 minutes ago, Mainefossils said:

Nice fossils! I believe that your first photo is a pair of crinoid stem external molds, with a worn internal mold on the right specimen. Your fourth photo is also an external mold of a crinoid stem. I think that your fifth specimen is a piece of chert, and I don't know what your sixth image is. Your seventh one looks like a few crinoid stems, and your last one looks like a brachiopod and crinoid piece is sticking out of it. Unfortunately, your second and third photos are not displaying. I will look forward to seeing what else you found! :)

Asher,

Thank you so much.  Since the images were out of focus, and the rocks wet without the graph paper, I deleted them all.  I'm going to retake them tomorrow, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to since I already have a return trip to Crawfordsville, IN planned for the day.

Brian

• Thank You 1
13 hours ago, bamontgomery said:

Since the images were out of focus, and the rocks wet without the graph paper, I deleted them all. 

Please do not do this. 

Now no one can comment until you have reposted the photos.  :( 

Even poor photographs are better than none. 

Deleting content after people have replied is considered bad form here.  :shakehead:

• I Agree 2
1 hour ago, bamontgomery said:

Oh no, Tim!  I'm very sorry.  I wasn't aware.  I promise not to do it again.  I'll post new and better photos tomorrow.

Looking forward to your photos.  Posting them will respect the efforts of those that assisted you.  ;)

Thanks, John.  My wife printed out the graph paper for me today so I'll have that when she gets home.  I didn't make it out fossil hunting today, which is probably a good thing since it would have meant leaving my tween home alone for a few hours.  He's old enough to do it, but still extremely bored without anyone else in the house.  We're entertaining each other by breaking open some geodes that a rockhounding friend gave us on Monday.

John, that's two strikes for me in a few days.  I'm terribly sorry and will do my best to do better.  Asher, I greatly appreciate your help and am sorry to have undone your work.  I meant no disrespect.

Hopefully I'll get those new photos in the morning.

Brian

• Thank You 2

Okay.  I don't want to confuse anyone by reposting in the OP because of the the wonderful ID work done my Mainefossils since I don't remember the order I posted them in.  Here they are again.

First specimen:836464194_Specimen1.1.thumb.jpg.8848f9cd66ec04c64536d686e79e1742.jpg20210923_153747.thumb.jpg.5ed83cb8e0f1886199c877285baf9b68.jpg20210923_153727.thumb.jpg.1fcfc22ef193cc98bb1f9e92bc96959a.jpg

20210923_153803.jpg

20210923_153712.jpg

20210923_153655.jpg

• Thank You 1

Seventh and final specimen:  Edit: I thought I only took photos of fossils this time, but I don't see one here.  It's still a lovely piece of chert, right?

20210923_154928.jpg

20210923_154921.jpg

20210923_154915.jpg

20210923_154900.jpg

20210923_154854.jpg

20210923_154842.jpg

Edited by bamontgomery
  • Thank You 1

Thanks again.  I'm still learning both fossil and rock IDs, so if anyone could help me out with either I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks very much for the compliments, and the new excellent photos! It will be much easier to identify these now. :default_clap2:Don't worry, we all go through learning curves. ;)

The first piece appears to be some crinoidal limestone, you can see the cross sections in the second image, and the longitudinal sections in the fourth image. These are external molds, although the specimen in the middle of your fourth picture has some of the internal mold left. Below is a diagram of a crinoid stem to give you an idea of what you are looking at: 

145192917_ScreenShot2021-09-24at6_01_44PM.png.a8dfc591a2d57df9f1c800814d5bc5e8.png

The second specimen also contains crinoid stem external molds, you can see them in your first three photos, and in the fifth image. 

Your third fossil is an example of a bryozoan, and a nice one at that. It is rather waterworn, but I think it could belong to the genus Fenestella, a type of fenestrate bryozoan. You can see it in the first two photos. Below is another example of this type of bryozoan: 

253438513_ScreenShot2021-09-24at6_06_56PM.png.a35df706e5f925de5e637c221141b5d3.png

Your fourth rock looks like it has a crinoid stem sticking out, you can see it in the middle of your first picture of it. This specimen is actually either a cast, or is the original fossil. Your fifth rock also contains a few crinoid stems, as well as your sixth specimen. 

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything in your seventh rock. It looks like a piece of chert that has been waterworn, and subsequently chipped. 

Hope this helps! :)

• Thank You 1
Thank you for using millimeter-sized paper :Smiling: If it’s mine, the big boxes are 1 cm. In the corners and in the middle I made a box "1 cm", you would have to place your samples near these boxes so that everyone knows the scale of this paper ;)

Coco