Insect Imprint

orangebuccaneer

Where from, what age, and do you have better pics? :D :D :D

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Yes, please fill us in on some of the details!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

this fossil is the oldest insect trace fossil found in awhile....I can't give too much info secret location but a beautiful specimin

As Shamalama mentioned, it would be easier to see your "beautiful" specimen with larger photos that include a size reference. Some may not know what a "bristletail" is, and giving the geologic age shouldn't compromise your secret. :D

<...looks like a dugong footprint, right now :unsure::P >

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Do I understand correctly that this is the imprint left by a bristletail when it landed on, or departed, a muddy surface?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Bristletails (order Thysanura), are the most primitive group of insects still living. They include the common silverfish, found in damp spaces around your house. They are wingless, and may represent the branch where divergence occurred from the winged insects (not insects that secondarily lost their wings, such as fleas). They are known from the fossil record, primarily by their distinct "footprint", as seen in the fossil shown. Depending on the age of the rock where found, it may shed light on the evolutionary history of the insects.

At least that is what I recall from entomology class.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Bristletails (order Thysanura), are the most primitive group of insects still living. They include the common silverfish, found in damp spaces around your house. They are wingless, and may represent the branch where divergence occurred from the winged insects (not insects that secondarily lost their wings, such as fleas). They are known from the fossil record, primarily by their distinct "footprint", as seen in the fossil shown. Depending on the age of the rock where found, it may shed light on the evolutionary history of the insects.

At least that is what I recall from entomology class.

Brent Ashcraft

In "Evolution of Insects" (Grimaldi and Engel, 2005) there is no mention of bristletail prints and really no mention of fossil insect tracks (though other ichnofossils are discussed), so if such fossils have been otherwise documented, that represents at least a minor breakdown in the coverage of insect remains for the book. It does note that the oldest insect fossils from North America are two segments of a bristletail from the Middle Devonian of Quebec (Gaspe beds). It would be very interesting if Orangebuccaneer's track is from an older site in North America or perhaps even older than the Early Devonian Rhynie Chert of Scotland from which a few arthropod fragments have been officially reported as the earliest known insect (Rhyniognatha).

Interesting topic! (I love ichnos, ask anyone).

Anybody have access to more on this: >SEE LINK< ?

Better pictures would be nice. My guess would be, late Triassic early Jurassic mudstones of the Newark Group. I think I recognize a worm hole just below and to the right of the insect impression. Very nice ichno, regardless. Don't forget the scale. If my guess is correct, a quarter would cover the impression.

from my understanding it older than 350 million yo and its a relative from the the bristletail i will post a pic with a quarter i found it in plainville ma

• 4 months later...

Hi, the site is easy to get to. I find amphib and insect tracks almost every weekend. Lots of plants as well. Any interest???

Archived