How can I know if my ammonite is real and not fabricated?

Albano Andrade Tomaz

Hello everyone!

Me and daughter  bought an ammonite fossil in Italy (mount vesuvius) this summer. We are totally naïfe and far below the level of knowledge of an amateur. Can anyone tell us if it’s a real one or a fake one?

Thank you all for your precious help.

best regards

631F779E-2FF4-4A52-87C7-B1884F52D970.jpeg

4B19B717-26B1-40C9-B1F8-DD0B2442E546.jpeg

61687226-DA89-4DB6-9E9C-4345223996F9.jpeg

E5221EB5-AFB1-4D31-8767-992224D9D402.jpeg

30AD2941-D368-461E-BC51-53F30774D510.jpeg

Indeed. The inner ribs they look sharply carved. Do you have any idea about its geografic provenance and specie/geological period?

thank you again

51 minutes ago, Albano Andrade Tomaz said:

Indeed. The inner ribs they look sharply carved. Do you have any idea about its geografic provenance and specie/geological period?

thank you again

Mellitella Ammonites, typically called Agadir Ammonites named after the city in Morocco where they are found, which is Cretaceous in age.

• I found this Informative 4

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

26 minutes ago, piranha said:

Mellitella is an echinoid genus.

When I searched Mellitella I did notice it came up as a genus of echinoid however lots of places refer to these ammonites by the same name. Do you know how Mellitella came to be associated with these ammonites, as it is definitely not an echinoid.

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

When I searched Mellitella I did notice it came up as a genus of echinoid however lots of places refer to these ammonites by the same name. Do you know how Mellitella came to be associated with these ammonites, as it is definitely not an echinoid.

'Mellitella ammonites' show up on many home decor and non-scientific websites. Ignorance and laziness are the primary reasons that names become corrupted.

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Mantelliceras or Cheloniceras are the names usually used commercially for these ammonites, which are a dime a dozen and almost always carved. It's hard to believe that it comes from Mount Vesuvius, since it looks like a typical Moroccan one. Or did you just buy it in a shop there?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Mantelliceras or Cheloniceras are the names usually used commercially for these ammonites, which are a dime a dozen and almost always carved. It's hard to believe that it comes from Mount Vesuvius, since it looks like a typical Moroccan one. Or did you just buy it in a shop there?

Hi,

I really appreciate your comments and explanations, but in the case I presented even with innermost carvings and improved appearance do you think it can a real ammonite fossil?

If so, is it possible to identify the specie by its scientific name and geological age?

thank you again

1 hour ago, Albano Andrade Tomaz said:

I really appreciate your comments and explanations, but in the case I presented even with innermost carvings and improved appearance do you think it can a real ammonite fossil?

If so, is it possible to identify the specie by its scientific name and geological age?

If you would reread my previous comments, then you would find the answer to your questions. The geological age is Cretaceous.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

14 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I visited the summit of Mount Vesuvius with my family a few years ago, there’s a lot of mineral and fossil vendors lining the walk up to the summit believe it or not! They were selling a mixture of dyed agates and the usual common Moroccan fossils. One vendor in particular was selling silicon carbide as “sparkly lava” which gave me a bit of a laugh!

• I found this Informative 1

For me at the time it was very hard to believe this specimen was from Mount Vesuvius. We bought it on the summit. And they still sell sparkly lava. 

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

If you would reread my previous comments, then you would find the answer to your questions. The geological age is Cretaceous.

Thank you for your help

On 9/22/2021 at 10:13 PM, Kane said:

This looks real, but the innermost whorls appear carved.

Thank you for your help