ammonite central arkansas, small and ??

found2turnout

before quick polish, et apres. small ammonite? central arkansas...and B maybe nothing but something perhaps, unidentifed compadre of exhibit a. please advise. merci.

20210923_150416.jpg

20210923_150432.jpg

20210923_150459.jpg

20210923_150126.jpg

20210923_150114.jpg

20210923_150120.jpg

there is a distinct shape in back but photo has glare, so yeh, I dunno. it's like a sediment swirl and the layers have a lil give to them upon polish, like air underneath, found amongst this. which I suppose is rather irrelevant. heehe

20210923_151707.jpg

20210923_151712.jpg

Hi @found2turnout

I am sorry to say, but I don't think that any of your specimens are fossils - they look more like suggestively shaped pieces of chert or limestone. In the future, it would be helpful to provide scale in your photographs; @Coco has just made an excellent post on this subject. Also, some information as to where in Arkansas this was found would be invaluable. These two pieces of information can be extremely useful in the identification of fossils and potential candidates. ;)

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by Mainefossils
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

maybe we aren't seeing the same stuff.  I'm going to follow photo and submission guidelines and ask that hopefully you might consider revisiting after I do so. 

your time and opinions/ expertise appreciated so much 

Sometimes pictures don't convey what you see,  but if there was something obvious someone would have spotted by now. It wouldn't hurt to try for clearer pictures and different lighting, and don't forget ruler for size. I'm wondering where you find these, is it just open dry land?  Looking in and around creeks might yield better results.

9 hours ago, found2turnout said:

hay una forma distinta en la parte de atrás, pero la foto tiene reflejos, así que sí, no sé. es como un remolino de sedimentos y las capas tienen una pequeña cantidad al pulirlas, como el aire debajo, que se encuentra entre ellas. lo cual supongo que es bastante irrelevante. jejeje

20210923_151707.jpg

20210923_151712.jpg

as you said.@RockwoodThis last stone that you have ascended, if it seems to have any mold.  that  ?

I see something in the center, above.

Please can you tell us how long the stone is ???
Centimeters or inches.

• I found this Informative 1

I see what may be the impression of a crinoid stem in one of the pieces presented (the larger blue area encircled by Rockwood above). Do we know the geologic age and formation of these? That would likely help immensely. 

As for ammonite, I am not seeing that at all, and agree with Roger.

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Rockwood, I totally understand your opinion on the last one. I was torn between a few waterworn crinoid molds, or just a rock. In the end though, it seemed to me to be just a rock, based on a few observations. Although some of the possible molds in the last specimen are vaguely reminiscent of a crinoid stems, they lack the symmetry and proper segmentation for this to be probable. Of course, this is just my opinion on this. Some closer pictures of the piece in question, as well as scale, would help immensely in the identification. 

@found2turnout, there are a few things that could help you with your hunting excursions. One is to use geologic maps and research papers on the fossil fauna of Arkansas, and through them explore sites where fossils have been found before. Also, joining a local fossil club is a good idea - they will often have information on the area and good hunting sites. 

Edited by Mainefossils

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

Well you definitely have some fossils this time, or at least impressions, maybe crinoid, I'll leave it to more knowledgeable people to ID.

On 9/24/2021 at 5:41 AM, Rockwood said:

Just off the top of my head I think Arkansas could have a range of Paleozoic rock exposed. 

https://www.geology.arkansas.gov/docs/pdf/geology/Collecting-Fossils-in-Arkansas.pdf

Most of the state is Paleozoic between Ordovician and latest Carboniferous mostly, some Cretaceous in the south west, Cenozoic and recent in the East

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?