Placoderm head fossil

Sofyar

That eye looks carved to me. Not sure about the rest of it, but the eye is enough to warn me off of it. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

That eye looks carved to me. Not sure about the rest of it, but the eye is enough to warn me off of it. 

Thanks! I also thought the eyes look a bit too manufactured but I have never seen a Placoderm fossil for sale before so I guessed I should ask. I also bought this Amber with a spider inclusion it looks amazing and close up photos of the inclusion are always a good sign of authenticity and Amber is more up my alley but I guess why not consult with someone who might know better! Again thanks for your help.

img_5780.jpg

img_5781.jpg

img_5782.jpg

img_5782_a.jpg

img_5782_b.jpg

The instant my eyes looked apon the photos, I instantly thought, "fake"!  I could be wrong, but I kinda doubt it.  Good luck

RB

• I Agree 1

I dont know for sure for that one, the eyes look carved. 

and the edges of the jaws look weird. 

but placoderm armor without ornamentation is really hard to discern from regular stone. you almost have to cut it to make out the inner details of the bone structure.

The picture taken from the front shows bone structure on the jaws, but it shouldn't be visible there.

In my opinion, parts of this placoderm are carved out of larger placoderm remains.

I would stay away from it, unless I could check it out myself.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

1 hour ago, Sofyar said:

Thanks! I also thought the eyes look a bit too manufactured but I have never seen a Placoderm fossil for sale before so I guessed I should ask. I also bought this Amber with a spider inclusion it looks amazing and close up photos of the inclusion are always a good sign of authenticity and Amber is more up my alley but I guess why not consult with someone who might know better! Again thanks for your help.

Yes, but again, with amber, it could be amber, copal, or recently manufactured resin.

When you get it, you can test with a hot needle or the water float test.

Search the Forum for tips on discerning real amber from copal or resin.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Yes, but again, with amber, it could be amber, copal, or recently manufactured resin.

When you get it, you can test with a hot needle or the water float test.

Search the Forum for tips on discerning real amber from copal or resin.

Yes I have used the tests before, the hot needle is a bit destructive so I avoid it when you can use the salt water and the Acetone tests but these require to have the Amber physically, which requires purchase hahaha. Thanks again! 

2 hours ago, RJB said:

The instant my eyes looked apon the photos, I instantly thought, "fake"!  I could be wrong, but I kinda doubt it.  Good luck

RB

The Placoderm right? not the Amber hahaha. I have not purchased the Placoderm I have been burned one and learned my lesson I consult online before any major purchases.

2 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

The wisdom of the crowd is not often wrong, especially when that crowd probably know better than me about a type of fossil I have never seen before up for sale. Thanks for your answer!

1 hour ago, Manticocerasman said:

I dont know for sure for that one, the eyes look carved. 

and the edges of the jaws look weird. 

but placoderm armor without ornamentation is really hard to discern from regular stone. you almost have to cut it to make out the inner details of the bone structure.

The picture taken from the front shows bone structure on the jaws, but it shouldn't be visible there.

In my opinion, parts of this placoderm are carved out of larger placoderm remains.

I would stay away from it, unless I could check it out myself.

I see. Thanks for your answer, I am new to these types of fossils I usually buy Trilobites haha but I am always on the lookout for new marine fossils. 

The spider in the amber doesn't look right to me. Generally, when an insect gets caught in the resin alive, they try to escape, frequently tearing legs apart in the process. And dead spiders legs usually curl inward. That one looks to fresh & posed. Might just be my tired mind seeing things that way, but to me, it could very well be a modern spider placed into real amber & sealed with man made resin or even softened amber or copal. If you've purchased it, use a UV light on it. Long wave or short wave doesn't matter much, although shortwave is usually the best. Amber fluoresces under uv light. Man made resins & plastics generally don't. 

• I Agree 3

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.