Septarian nodule?

BudB

I visited a new creek in Hill County Tuesday. This is an Eagle Ford area. As often happens with a new site, I didn't find any of the fossils I was hoping for, and won't likely go back to this creek. I did find this strange looking piece, though. I'm thinking it has to be a septarian nodule, though it looks completely unlike any septarian nodules I've found or seen online. Am I identifying this correctly? Here are three views of it. The morning shadows are a bit harsh, and I probably should have found a more contrasting background than my driveway in the last two photos, but here it is, in all its strangeness, complete with a loose rock still captured in one of the holes.

hill04001.jpg

hill04002.jpg

hill04003.jpg

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 1

I agree, this looks like the remains of a septarian nodule.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

An all natural version of portable rock art. :thumbsu:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I'm not sure if it is related to spetarian nodules/concretions. Somehow, may be close to Boxwork, but it looks too spongy for that. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library