Mystery from the Black Cows – marine reptile expert needed

Suchomimus

G'day everyone,

maybe someone can help me with the identification of a fossil. Recently I was on vacation in France and had the opportunity to visit the famous Falaises des Vaches Noires at Villers-sur-Mer (Calvados, Normandy). While searching the beach at low tide I found many fossils of invertebrates, but at the end of it a loose bone, too, on the foreshore. So it is most likely from the Marnes de Dives formation (Callovian), but I cannot say for sure, of course (the Marnes de Villers is overlying).

As far as I know vertebrate fossils from there are represented by marine reptiles and dinosaurs (rare). My first thought was dinosaur, so I contacted Troodon. He does not think it is dinosaurian and recommended to post my find here.

My second thought was paddle bone from a marine reptile and from what I have seen it appears to be a possibility, but I am actually a dino tooth collector and would like to rely on opinions of people who are more familiar with bones than I am, especially with bones from marine reptiles.

Here it is (third picture: measured in centimeters):

VN13.thumb.jpg.6534be873251bec51d2bea274eadc291.jpgVN8.thumb.jpg.952ddb48dbbbc6383923c22bc3306c6a.jpgVN2.thumb.jpg.a6a6a84d145772ef62a40e8b2302f293.jpgVN3.thumb.jpg.f45b50d1d994f8d6b84fada5ec0db2e3.jpgVN4.thumb.jpg.af70ecb2b7635b7a9940b294e16acbcb.jpgVN6.thumb.jpg.723ab81e04894a711250aad3c5b1eeaf.jpgVN7.thumb.jpg.b69369acbb6983050db64fdd25753cca.jpgVN9.thumb.jpg.2828e9894bee06b5738a692042d9f622.jpgVN10.thumb.jpg.700873b6e0bef623e909cbdd74de9096.jpgVN11.thumb.jpg.dcae130e4afcddb7e33f1cbf15730cec.jpgVN12.thumb.jpg.8f6ef3467f5f7d57ad17804f1b090c0c.jpg

Does anyone have an idea?

With its shape being so round and stretched like that, marine crocodile vertebra would be the only suggestion I can come up with. I don't see this fitting anywhere on an ichthyosaur, nor on a plesiosaur, for which the supposed bone would be too thick as a paddle bone. In contrast to most other marine reptiles, marine crocodiles have elongated vertebrae with hollow/concave ends, a condition known as amphicoelous. Your find has only one concave end, however...

And while I don't want to burst your bubble, I actually think this is not a piece of bone at all, more likely being a worn sponge. That is, I don't see a bone texture. You find these sponges a lot in certain stretches of the beach around Vaches Noires, especially towards Villers-sur-Mer. In still remember myself having brought back multiple of these pieces, the first time I visited. In actually wrote a report about my finds back then on the Dutch fossil forum, and hope to translate and repost it here before too long. I also intend to do the same for my most recent trip, providing plenty of examples of the material that is to be found there...

What do you make of this, @taj?

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 9/25/2021 at 1:50 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

With its shape being so round and stretched like that, marine crocodile vertebra would be the only suggestion I can come up with. I don't see this fitting anywhere on an ichthyosaur, nor on a plesiosaur, for which the supposed bone would be too thick as a paddle bone. In contrast to most other marine reptiles, marine crocodiles have elongated vertebrae with hollow/concave ends, a condition known as amphicoelous. Your find has only one concave end, however...

And while I don't want to burst your bubble, I actually think this is not a piece of bone at all, more likely being a worn sponge. That is, I don't see a bone texture. You find these sponges a lot in certain stretches of the beach around Vaches Noires, especially towards Villers-sur-Mer. In still remember myself having brought back multiple of these pieces, the first time I visited. In actually wrote a report about my finds back then on the Dutch fossil forum, and hope to translate and repost it here before too long. I also intend to do the same for my most recent trip, providing plenty of examples of the material that is to be found there...

What do you make of this, @taj?

Thanks for your reply, a fossilized sponge was a possibility I did not really think about. After reading your post I did some research and indeed – I found some examples of sponges from Villers-sur-Mer that are pretty good matches considering that my find is worn.

No bubble bursted, I am glad to know now what it is. And I would definitely like to read your report!

Unfortunately , I would agree with you , Pachy . That is one of the traps of the site ,all these bits of rocks that get weathered and ground up until they look like some fossil bits ...

• Thank You 1