Geer Road Quarry/Deep Spring Road Help?

NoahW24

Hi All!

Any advice on getting permission to explore a quarry? I’m trying to plan out some trips into the field for later in the fall or next spring if I can get some time off.

My top pick by distance and what I’ve heard people talk about here are the

Geer Road/Deep Springs Road Quarry.

Does anyone know who could be contacted about permission to look for critters for an afternoon there? 

Thanks! 

Noah

Noah,

The last I heard was that the Geer Road Quarry was off limits to individual collectors, although organized groups/clubs may still be allowed to hunt there.

Deep Springs Road is owned by one of the land owners at the north end of Deep Springs Road. They are open to people collecting there, as they use the rock for road fill, and are happy to have collectors to break it down for them. They have allowed fossil collecting, without asking for permission, so long as you police yourself/your trash, and respect the land.

Briggs Road is totally off limits now, as ownership changed, and the site has been bull-dozed.  The new owner does not allow collecting.

I hope that helps.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

53 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Noah,

The last I heard was that the Geer Road Quarry was off limits to individual collectors, although organized groups/clubs may still be allowed to hunt there.

Deep Springs Road is owned by one of the land owners at the north end of Deep Springs Road. They are open to people collecting there, as they use the rock for road fill, and are happy to have collectors to break it down for them. They have allowed fossil collecting, without asking for permission, so long as you police yourself/your trash, and respect the land.

Briggs Road is totally off limits now, as ownership changed, and the site has been bull-dozed.  The new owner does not allow collecting.

I hope that helps.

Thank you for the info! I will check out the DSR when I can then and look forward to the next group trip to Geer Rd- is there anywhere I can keep up with planning for that? 

Best,

Noah

You might consider joining the New York Paleontological Society which does have outings to a number of quarries that usually forbid access. 

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

You might consider joining the New York Paleontological Society which does have outings to a number of quarries that usually forbid access. 

I will look into this as well- thanks!