Rooted Dolphin/Cetacean Tooth?

James Savage

Hello everyone

I found this small tooth yesterday diving in a SE US river spot that has only produced Miocene era materials so far: Shark Teeth-Megalodon, Carcharadon Hastalis (no Carcharadon Carcharias yet), Hemipristis Serra, etc.) and plenty of whale bone, verts, ear bones and teeth.

I think this is a small dolphin tooth but I haven't seen one with a root that is pretty much perpendicular to the tooth like this.  I've also attached a couple pics of the other stuff found yesterday for reference.

Thanks for looking.  Let me know if there is another angle that may help with ID.

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

IMG_3257.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3259.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

On 9/26/2021 at 3:29 PM, James Savage said:

I think this is a small dolphin tooth but I haven't seen one with a root that is pretty much perpendicular to the tooth like this.  I've also attached a couple pics of the other stuff found yesterday for reference.

James,

You should check out this thread... long but interesting but similar marine mammal tooth

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting.  I'll check out that thread.  Always enjoy reading the previous threads and trip reports.

Thanks again