Split Broken Green River Priscacara serrata has cleared its throat

Biotalker

I bought this ratty broken split fish several years back at an auction really, really cheap. It was mis-identified as a "Priscacara liops". It was my introduction to Green River fish. This fossil has some revealing details. This is a 7" Priscacara serrata and it displays the characteristic molariform teeth in the pharyngeal region that would normally be hidden in a more intact specimen. This type of tooth is for crushing prey. I would say this broken fellow displays these pharyngeal teeth even more clearly than the picture in Lance Grande's The Lost World of Fossil Lake. And he must have had thousands of specimens to choose from. See for yourself. These broken cheapos can be terrific!

The entire fossil

785110601_Serratawhole(2).jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Great photos!  Ive never even thought about these fish having teeth?  This is quite awesome to say the least!  Im going to have to take a closer look at the ones I have now.  Im going to have to go look at Lances book too.

RB

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

Im going to have to take a closer look at the ones I have now.

As will I. Thanks for showing this!!

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2021 at 4:36 PM, Biotalker said:

pharyngeal teeth

serrata pharyngeal teeth (2).jpg

Thanks for showing this and the partially edentulous section as well. I did a web search about fish teeth and learned how profound the jaw was in the evolution of vertebrates.