Accessible fossil formations in northern Georgia, USA

LoganShush1022

Does anyone know any good- well honestly any accessible fossil formations in northern Georgia? Looking to set up a fossil hunting trip (haven't been able too because of school) and I have a few spots in mind. Though, I was wondering if anybody had tips or locations. Thanks- Logan 

I've found a few things in Georgia, but for the most part from what I've seen accessible fossil sites are pretty rare.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone knows of any, however. 

8 hours ago, Plax said:

google gives a lot using "Georgia fossil sites" including this:

https://www.georgiasfossils.com/public-fossil-locations.html

Thomas Thurman's blog is nice but most discussions aren't on north Georgia.

To be frank, it is more difficult in north Georgia but sites exist if you put in the effort. It also depends on how picky you are. It can be hard to find high quality fossils in north Georgia although if you're new to a lot of Paleozoic stuff or don't mind something unique but not immaculately preserved it is fine. 

I'm even more hesitant than normal to list very nice sites in Georgia because of what happened to Tibbs Bridge. There's another site that won't be named I have been to where people have dug under the roads to expose more of the fossils. Sounds like a good way to get a site closed or covered, if it hasn't happened already. I'm not one to lecture people on such things but that does seem to be a problem there.

I WILL mention that there are some decent exposures in the area of Dalton and you might want to put some time in finding public access or landowners who don't mind. There's an exposure on Dug Gap Battle Road outside of Dalton that yields some interesting fossils. Large crinoid columnals are common in roadcuts in the Summerville area (such as on highway 27 by Gore).