Fossil leaves in travertine?

Kasia

Hello,

during the weekend I attended the fossil fair (the first one in 1,5 year) and I bought such specimen, however the seller had no idea about either the age of the whereabouts of it, as he purchased it as a part of a large collection.

obraz.png.11171a0b2ea9a3106560e20d97ebf279.png

obraz.png.87853e35b9f06802a3c53c96cf5bf134.png

obraz.png.e2b962b3e3ae18fea41428a8ffc184d3.png

I have found here on TFF a thread with pictures that present fossils looking exactly like this one, posted by @abbysunder -

Any idea where it may come from and how old it is?

Regards,

Kasia

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

Hi Kasia. In my opinion it would be extremely difficult to guess the location or age. These sort of deposits occur all over the world and they all look practically the same. I have some here in my back yard, so to speak, and they are recent.

Pl_33.1.thumb.jpg.451be685321420d729f4a696dcfec076.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Hi Kasia. In my opinion it would be extremely difficult to guess the location or age. These sort of deposits occur all over the world and they all look practically the same. I have some here in my back yard, so to speak, and they are recent.

Pl_33.1.thumb.jpg.451be685321420d729f4a696dcfec076.jpg

Hi,

they do look alike - what is the age of "yours"? :)

Kasia

Hello dear!

Your leaves in question are from deciduous trees and are very similar to the ones I've collected in the mentioned topic (preservation, color, shape/structure). 

As Roger said, it's hard to know where they came from and the geological age is relatively young. I labeled mines as Holocene. :)

Very nice specimen you have!

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

21 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Mine are anthropocene :D

Roger is nice! I'm glad to be here. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library