Quetzalcoatlus

Again an insect photographed in Naturistorisches Museum Wien (Vienna natural history museum), only indentified as "Coleoptera" in the tag. This one also comes from Liaoning, China. Notice the short antennae and strong granulation in elytra. By general shape this could be maybe a Buprestidae but it's very tentative. They also reminds me a bit the living Melyris (Melyridae). Size is about 12-15 mm lenght.

Any help please?

Thanks!

P1370978 (10-9-21 Naturistorisches Museum Wien, leg in Liaoning).jpg

Do you have a copy of Silent Stories - Insect Fossil Treasure from Dinosaur Era of the Northeastern China  by Ren  et al. (2010)? The square cells in the elytra are reminiscent of the Cupedidae or Ommatidae. The antennae appear to be obscured so the number of segments or length is not readily apparent to me. The hind wings are not visible as well, so a definitive diagnosis may not be available. My copy of Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology Part R Volume 3-4 Hexapoda (1992) does not list the Ommatidae but lists genus Omma in the Cupedidae. I am by no means an expert on the Coleoptera, much less the Cupedidae or Ommatidae.     

Many thanks for the complete reply, Crusty_Crab! Shamefully I don't have this book nor any other book about fossils. The possibility of  Cupedidae Ommatinae is quite interesting, it's a group with wide fossil representation and close morphological resemblance. Here is a living species of Omma for comparison: figure.png