Florida Camel/Llama tooth Identification

Shellseeker

I found something new (to me) in differentiating the two most common (Hemiauchenia macrocephala and Palaeolama mirifica)  Llama/Camels in the Florida fossil record and decided to share. One differentiating factors is the presense of crenulations (Palaeolama mirifica) or lack of crenulations (Hemiauchenia macrocephala)

cren·u·lat·ed (-lā′tĭd)adj.

Having a margin or contour with shallow, usually rounded notches and projections; finely notched or scalloped: a crenulate leaf; a crenulate coastline.

A couple of month back I found what I believed to be a Hemiauchenia macrocephala lower left m3 molar. Note the relatively narrow enamel height.  Lots of root, less enamel than I expected.

llamaTooth_Text.jpg.78ca213327303e6ef4a4d92cdd42d984.jpgIMG_0263Crop.thumb.jpg.80c238c439a87e85d4bbc5ca9f34fcf2.jpg

Bother by this difference in enamel height,  I wondered if this was a old senile tooth worn down to the roots; I started to wonder of it might be a lower p3 rather than an m3, I wondered if it might be an upper M3...

Then I came across a very extensive description of Hemiauchenia macrocephala on the website for the University of Florida Museum of Natural History and found this Hemiauchenia macrocephala lower left m3.

Fig9_Hemiaucheniamacrocephala_m3_left.jpg.5dc26ce36d6afbb7404d6cdbc9fee1c9.jpg

and this caption..

Fig9_Hemiaucheniamacrocephala_m3_leftTEXT.JPG.422b69150bbf9d6193d7aa435c8be4ff.JPG

So that is the identification tip for Florida fossil hunters who like me did not know that on some Hemiauchenia macrocephala teeth there is a layer of cementum covering some of the enamel making it look shorter, and that same effect can not occur on Palaeolama mirifica molars.

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"