A find from Jebel Harim in Oman

3battalion

I thought I'd post these pictures in the hope someone maybe able to shed some light on this rock or fossil. This piece was found while hiking over Jebel Harim in Oman. Jebel Harim is well known for it's fossils but I was on a hike and not specifically rock kicking! To give everyone an idea of the spectacular terrain and crazy geology, I've added two photos from the hike. The piece I'd like assistance with please is the semi circular shaped rock above the ruler. I found this on top of the mountain near the walking train and it was the unusual shape that caught my eye so I popped it into my pocket and it was only when I got back home did I take a closer look and realised it maybe something worth keeping. Sadly, that all I can add so if anyone has any ideas I appreciate any assistance?

Thanks

Paul

JJ.jpg

JJ2.jpg

Unknown 2.jpg

Unknown 3.jpg

Unknown.jpg

I think that these rocks are geological  there are many more knowledgable people on this site who will be able to give you more information.  Amazing and awe inspiring landscapes,  thank you for sharing.

How hard is it, can you scratch it with your fingernail? Looks kinda like folded gypsum or anhydrite.

Thanks for the replies. It is 'rock' hard and I can't scratch it. I'm wondering about the force load that would have been exerted to cause such as pattern, amazing!

Thanks

Paul

Wicked tectonics and subduction created those formations,  quartzite would be next guess for rock, wondering if it's considered ophiolite or metamorphic sole, really curious.

e.g.:

tfnotruet3(1).jpg

some of you may want to read:

afbeelding_2021-10-02_080101.png

EDIT(orial note): posted this a picosecond beforeLonehunter's reaction

edit two: haven't collated /read all the result of the Oman drilling Projec;t,yet.

Edited by doushantuo
  • I found this Informative 1

The rock shown by the poster could conceivably be blueschist.

so what does "wicked tectonics" look like,on a regional scale?

well,like this:

afbeelding_2021-10-02_104142.png

Edited by doushantuo
  • I found this Informative 1

Some great replies and amazing photos. I loved the 'wicked tectonics' on a regional scale, a picture paints a thousand words.

Doushantuo, was picture C in your first reply taken in Oman?

Paul