Fossil ID please? Virginia York River with spikes...

jen1117

Can someone help me identify this fossil? Found at York River State Park in Williamsburg, Virginia, USA near the water. It seems that fossils here are likely from the early Pilocene. It's 7"x 4" as far as size. Thank you so much for any info you may have! 

IMG-9612.jpg

IMG-9613.jpg

Edited by jen1117
Added size
  • Enjoyed 1

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

You have a piece of turtle shell - hyoplastron or  hypoplastron.

You might try doing a burn test, to see if it is modern or fossil - hold flame to item.

Fossil should not burn. Modern should burn, and give off a bad smell, from collagen in recent bones.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you so much! I just got back into fossil hunting after moving away from some prime areas for it. I had never found this before. It definitely won't burn. I didn't know about that test! Thank you again. 

York River State Park exposes the Eastover Formation, so Late Miocene rather than Early Pliocene.

• I found this Informative 2

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

9 hours ago, historianmichael said:

York River State Park exposes the Eastover Formation, so Late Miocene rather than Early Pliocene.

Thank you! I was really having trouble finding this information. I had only found one article that stated Pliocene. 

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Oh wow! Thank you for the visuals! This is great! It didn't burn or smell, so I thought fossil. Thank you again -- this group is fantastic!