Strange "canine" from Java

Hello everyone, I got offered with this "fossil" from Java. The Selle says it's a carnivore canine. But I don't even think it's a fossil but a strange shaped rock, or if it's a fossil it's made of two pieces. 

What do you think of it? 

received_626360611857284.jpeg

received_382343153597189.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Jasperfossils said:

It doesn't look like a canine to me. It is one of those carvings.

Yeah, I had the same thought

At best, it is a croc crown with a carved, plastered-on root. At worse it is entirely carved

I have fallen victim to Java carnivore/leopard/tiger teeth a few times. My rule of thumb is - if it's from Java and it's rooted, stay away

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

2 hours ago, -Andy- said:

At best, it is a croc crown with a carved, plastered-on root. At worse it is entirely carved

I have fallen victim to Java carnivore/leopard/tiger teeth a few times. My rule of thumb is - if it's from Java and it's rooted, stay away

Yeah I know 99 %of Java carnivores are fake. I got lucky with a fossil bear tooth from Java. That one is 100% real and a great piece

This piece looks like a carved and polished probiscidean tooth fragment.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

16 hours ago, JohnJ said:

This piece looks like a carved and polished probiscidean tooth fragment.

I was thinking about that as well.

On 10/4/2021 at 8:31 AM, Kiros said:

Yeah I know 99 %of Java carnivores are fake. I got lucky with a fossil bear tooth from Java. That one is 100% real and a great piece

I can see why you'd be interested in it.  It looks like a worn canine that someone thought could be salvaged by polishing it.  The problem is that it's polished to such a degree that it is almost unrecognizable.  If the seller thinks it's valuable, you should pass.  There are other beat-up teeth that can look better with some polish if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

I can see why you'd be interested in it.  It looks like a worn canine that someone thought could be salvaged by polishing it.  The problem is that it's polished to such a degree that it is almost unrecognizable.  If the seller thinks it's valuable, you should pass.  There are other beat-up teeth that can look better with some polish if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. 

Yeah I was going to pass anyway. Too difficult to understand what could it be but I wanted to know Al's the opinion of the great members of this forum. And it just confirmed my doubts. If you really want mammal carnivore material from Java you need to pay attention and be really patient. 

This is a fossil Helarctos Malayanus from Java this is a great piece. But there are way more fakes (in particular feline teeth) than real fossil teeth. And they have so many different way to fake them :s_cry:

IMG_20210928_102324.jpg