South Dakota trip

garyc

My wife and I just got back from a three night trip to Hot Springs, South Dakota. Our mission was three fold. First, a visit to Mount Rushmore has been on our bucket list for several years. Second, I recently I’ve been in touch with Richard White who was previously the Director of the international wildlife museum in Tucson Arizona and most recently has become involved doing research out of the mammal lab at the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs. He has been studying Capybara and publishing papers for several years. After seeing pictures of the skull that I found on the Brazos River a few years ago, he contacted me oh to let me know he was interested in seeing the skull. 

45234D3F-0116-4241-BDD1-A92C6F5669C7.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 4

Day one of our trip involved meeting Rich at his lab and dropping off the skull. Rich was kind enough to look at some additional bones from my collection that did not have definitive identification. 

4DAA836B-FE36-41F6-83DF-565EE4DB02D4.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

During the tour we were able to see fossil preparation in action. This picture actually shows some prep of a big cat femur that I found. Rich asked for some matrix to be removed so that more distinguishing characteristics of the bone can be viewed. I have left that femur with him for definitive ID (puma vs American cheetah). 

17951799-DD1E-4D72-BD2F-5C1D3798A888.jpeg

B0736F87-4627-4181-86AA-E647549D58F6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

After that incredible tour we headed out of Hot Springs for some tourist activities.

66926D9F-5371-4049-A935-815980B9F626.jpeg

DFFCD9B7-0F73-47F5-9F7E-BE4191B83EA1.jpeg

29CE93BB-9382-453F-89FE-76425A0F2B0F.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Day three was the third part of our mission. For my wife that meant visiting the hot springs mineral pools and getting a massage. I took off in our rental car for the Badlands. I got very lucky on a small outcrop that was not in the national park or on private property. There had been some rain the day before which may have exposed this section of oreodont jaw. Right place, right time!

B4FC496A-F8D7-4E22-8967-2231F0771927.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

Before our departure Rich was able to have the lab at the Mammoth Site get a digital scan of the capybara skull. He will soon have a 3D model of it. I have retained possession of the skull. It was great to meet Richard White in person and I am very thankful for his insight and his gracious sharing of knowledge. 

• Enjoyed 4

10 minutes ago, garyc said:

Before our departure Rich was able to have the lab at the Mammoth Site get a digital scan of the capybara skull. He will soon have a 3D model of it. I have retained possession of the skull. It was great to meet Richard White in person and I am very thankful for his insight and his gracious sharing of knowledge. 

What a great trip!

Sounds like you had an excellent and informative time.  :default_clap2:

• Thank You 1

I'll bet you have some super reference photos, now.  Good to see photos of Rich again.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ