Childhood Shark Tooth

OliverH

Ive had this fossil shark tooth since I was gifted it at a pretty young age. Since the tooth was marketed towards kids, the packaging had no species ID or location found on it. The only info I could find on the package is that it is labeled "Fossil Shark Tooth", and it apparently dates anywhere from the Eocene to the Cretaceous. Despite its small amount of information, and not completely trusted source, I don't doubt its authenticity, as it holds up appearance wise to other fossilized shark teeth I own, and passes the "lick test". I personally believe it may be Otodus obliquus, but I wanted some more experienced options. Thanks for any help you have!IMG_3741.thumb.jpg.bfa7e245ec7499230f54b796b5e70181.jpgIMG_3742.thumb.jpg.96f3ae6afda2866edd1ce6911f6780e7.jpgIMG_3743.thumb.jpg.bfbbcf9269e92ddfeb67fb66c4f51ca3.jpgIMG_3744.thumb.jpg.9444970ba2d3750c8783666d5c9769d5.jpg

Edited by OliverH
Text formatting around the images

Looks like a Moroccan "franken tooth". Root appears to be 2 different bits held together with sand & glue and molded to have a generalized root shape. The root bits & tooth itself are real, but most of the root probably isn't. Could very well be 2 or 3 pieces of different teeth.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Called a composite, when real pieces of different fossils are put together to look like a complete one. It appears to be made of Otodus obliquus pieces, Eocene in age from Morocco. The part highlighted in yellow is the sand and glue mixture, the red part is clearly a different color and from a different tooth. The blue and black areas in the image may be from the same tooth however I'm thinking they are not because there is sand glue between them, probably joining them together.

image.png.e411fc737c8498d024ae2e531f14f98d.png

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Welcome to TFF!

I agree with what @Top Trilo has said. Otodus obliquus made from 2, maybe 3 pieces.

An O. obliquus tooth was my first fossil, only a few years back ....and now the collection has many Otodus teeth.

Otodus teeth are very collectible in my opinion, the genus is colloquially known as the Megatoothed sharks and ends with O. megalodon. O. obliquus teeth can reach over 100mm!