Ptychodus prep (two teeth in the same slab!)

Jared C

I've had little free time as of late,  but I've made good use of some of it by starting to learn how to prepare my fossils. Here's a find I made recently that I finished tonight. It's taken a little longer than i expected, but that's because I would live stream some the prep on TikTok, where I'd prep (with one hand, risky business!) while also answering some questions about fossils and how to get started hunting, etc. This made it slow but enjoyable work.

These come from my current best site that I have. The teeth are small, but perfectly preserved, since they come straight out of the ground. I made do with what I have, using a screwdriver pick I found in the garage that must've come with a screwdriver kit. It works just fine. I also found that a good playlist makes prepping even more appealing. Lately I've been getting into Colter Wall and Tyler Childers, and they've made a great vibe during my preps.

First - the slab of two Ptychodus teeth, as found (sorry for the quality, it comes from a video)

IMG-2581.thumb.jpg.cce90f23724d22d60a66c19cbc750c92.jpg

and here it is tonight!

IMG-2579.thumb.jpg.b02c600e1acf676f6ecad40e01289e1e.jpgIMG-2580.thumb.jpg.d4b59af88ca1c812a465f0ecd8d00a22.jpg

Next here's another tooth that I decided to break out of the paper thin slab that held it. This is my largest Ptychodus tooth from this site so far - I suspect it's a Ptychodus mammilaris, and it's slightly larger than the two above. 

IMG-2572.thumb.jpg.8abd4bbc1960a3bda668cd5badf45127.jpgIMG-2578.thumb.jpg.74e458165dc7534778611d33ef106c74.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

4 hours ago, Jared C said:

but that's because I would live stream some the prep on TikTok

Are you sure you want to use this website, when there are other less commercial possibilities? Of course, you're free to choose, but I just wanted to give you my two cents worth.

Edit: Ooops! I just realized that the link is in German :blush:

So here's another one.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

So here's another one.

Thanks, I've considered transitioning to YouTube before. This might be another signal to do so

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg