Interested to know what we found

Garry Davey

Hi, can anyone help please with what this? We found it on a beach in Suffolk England (North Sea). Its vey light (74g) for its size. Sorry if I've posted on the wrong forum or      my photos aren't good enough. Any information about what it is would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Garry

thumbnail_IMG_1082.thumb.jpg.2e52c71ab8a5e2d0dd1a138573baf533.jpg. thumbnail_IMG_1079.thumb.jpg.b902922bbe53832555f1e9712dcfc2ea.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1082.thumb.jpg.2e52c71ab8a5e2d0dd1a138573baf533.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1083.thumb.jpg.e5481fd0d440a25574d70bd28e3fad60.jpgthumbnail_IMG_1084.thumb.jpg.ae7bcf77791dd0b9e03ba76e04d12e9a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1078.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Pics are good and you also included a scale - very good! Thanks!

You are mentioning "float" in the tags. Does it really float in seawater? 

Irrespective of the supposed low density, it could be calcite or gypsum.

Does it fizz with vinegar?

Can you scratch it with a fingernail?

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks like quarzite to me.

That´s indeed also a possibility!

Thanks so much for your help - this is really interesting (and very new to me).

So it doesn't actually float, but it is very bouyant, to the point that it virtually floats in salt water.

It doesnt seem to react to vinegar at all, no sign of fizzing.

Yes if you scratch it then a mark is left from your fingernail.

Thanks again for your help,

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Probably gypsum, then.

29 minutes ago, Garry Davey said:

to the point that it virtually floats in salt water.

Gypsum is not as dense as usual rocks, but still quite dense.

"Virtually floating" is very, very well expressed, I completely understand (at least, I think, I do ;)).

Now a lighter or candle test is in order!

Would you like to pry off a small fragment and hold it with tweezers in the flame of a lighter or candle? What happens? To be safe, please do this outdoors. Somewhat toxic fumes can not be excluded, but using a small fragment and doing it outdoors its ok.

Franz Bernhard

I don’t know if I’m right, but it reminds me of gray amber/whale vomit. It is light and made in the digestive tract of whales and is highly sought after in perfumery to fix odors. But it was only an opinion that crossed my mind.

Coco
  • Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 10/7/2021 at 7:45 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Gypsum is not as dense as usual rocks, but still quite dense.

"Virtually floating" is very, very well expressed, I completely understand (at least, I think, I do ;)).

Now a lighter or candle test is in order!

Would you like to pry off a small fragment and hold it with tweezers in the flame of a lighter or candle? What happens? To be safe, please do this outdoors. Somewhat toxic fumes can not be excluded, but using a small fragment and doing it outdoors its ok.

Franz Bernhard

A lighter test is a good idea. If it does't burn, you can rule out organic material such as foam, ambergris or rosin.

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Aloha

Ok, it does not look porous in the closeups, at least as far as I can see in the pics. That, if true, rules out pumice and foams of any kind.

At least in the pics it looks more like a crystalline substance, but if the density is close to saltwater gypsum, calcite, quarz(ite) are out.

Most probable suspect in my eyes is some kind of wax, resin or fat like palm oil, that are often found in chunks on our pristine beaches^^.

Take care when heating it, because organic substances like these may accumulate lipophile toxins from seawater.

Ambergris would be the jackpot among the possible explanations, though I doubt it.

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi, many thanks for all your comments.

It crumbles when you cut off a small chunk.

It does burn/melt.thumbnail_IMG_1114.thumb.jpg.eec19767ab098e1b34600c412d40b395.jpg

My dog sniffs at it but doesnt seem overly interested.

I have attached some additional photos after the chunk was cut off and burnt.

Thanks again, Garry

thumbnail_IMG_1119.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1111.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1120.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1115.jpg

• Thank You 1

Thank you very much for the additional info, pics and the very educative burn test with temperature gradient applied :dinothumb:!

Some (man-made) organic material than. Its funny, how inorganic it looks and crumbles. Further ID is beyond my knowledge, though.

@Mahnmut

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

20 minutes ago, Plax said:

Blob of sub fossil pine sap?

:default_clap2: Very good idea! It isn´t very large, and yes, altered pine sap looks quite similar. Density fits also? (little bit more dense than see water). But it can be impure, so that´s not definitive.

It would also have a quite distinct and pleasant odor during melting...:whistle::Confused02:

Franz Bernhard

Ok, its organic. I can not tell you much more. As Franzbernhard said, the smell may tell you more.

I looked again at pictures of ambergris, and its still in the range. But much more often you get fat, resin or wax.

Does it have a specific smell?

Not a fossil question anymore, but as identifying lookalikes to amber may be of interest I hope its ok.

Best Regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
spelling
  • Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley