Dyrosaurus phosphaticus

EthanKennedy

Hi guys,

I am super excited to be a new part of this community. Everyone seems to be so helpful!

I have recently been looking into investing in one of the two crocodile skulls below and I was hoping for any input as to whether anyone owns one themselves or has any experience with them, and if they are a worthwhile investment. These ones seem to be super well preserved, however, I am no expert and would appreciate any and all input. I am also at a cross roads as I really like the addition of the teeth showing on the first photo, however, I love the vertebra on the second. Would it be possible to prep the second one as to also show the teeth or would there be risks regarding the structural integrity of the specimen?

I look forward to hearing fro you guys, and thank you in advance for any advice.

Ethan

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

Moved to Is It Real? How to Recognize Fossil Fabrications .  ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

54 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

The first skull looks fake. The number of the teeth is not good and there seems to be a lot of plaster

Yeah, I was kinda thinking that too. The seller is fairly reputable however. I have asked for more photos and info 

I don't know much about crocodiles. But even if both were real (and the top piece looks very much like a fake), they can't both be Dyrosaurus phosphaticus.  The orbit and the temporal fenestra of the two pieces look completely different. The upper skull looks more like a recent Nile crocodile altered to fossil.

As a beginner I would never buy crocodile remains from Morocco - probably more than 90% of the offered pieces are fakes.

• I Agree 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

1 hour ago, oilshale said:

I don't know much about crocodiles. But even if both were real (and the top piece looks very much like a fake), they can't both be Dryosaurus phosphaticus.  The orbit and the temporal fenestra of the two pieces look completely different. The upper skull looks more like a recent Nile crocodile altered to fossil.

As a beginner I would never buy crocodile remains from Morocco - probably more than 90% of the offered pieces are fakes.

Interesting… that’s a good point! Thanks for your input! 

The first one looks, at a minimum, like partial composite you see sold at the Tucson fossil show, the teeth have been added.  You need better photos of both, all sides and closeup of the teeth if it has any.   I see these sold at the show and sometimes the cervicals are added, so need to confirm on the second skull.  A locality is a must, Dyrosaurus phosphaticus is from Eocene deposits of North Africa however other Dyrosaurids exist from different ages.  Most sold come from the Ouled Abdoun Basin of Morocco.  Some reconstruction may be present of the top of the second skull around the parietal why we need better photos.

Here is a reconstruction of a D. phosphaticus skull.  Orbits do not match your second skull.

Screenshot_20211009-053406_Drive.thumb.jpg.1eb56c5bf27af1a244546d496e0b44ab.jpg

A new description of the skull of Dyrosaurus phosphaticus (Thomas, 1893) (Mesoeucrocodylia:
Dyrosauridae) from the Lower Eocene of North Africa,     Stéphane Jouve

The second skull one looks more like this one but need better photos 

A Dyrosaurid from the Paleocene of Morocco,Ouled Abdoun Basin 

Arambourgisuchus khouribgaensis sp

Screenshot_20211009-063644_Drive.jpg.2141fb4f983cb0a6815a4ca114a862b8.jpg

I would pass.

First one looks almost 90% fake (as said a lot of plaster, fake teeth, glued together bone fragments..).

Second one has some plastered areas for sure (most squamosal and some attached bones).

5 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Please, pay attention to the spelling. Dyrosaurus and not Dryosaurus

That makes sense. The guy who is selling them has them under Dryosaurus… explains why I couldn’t find any information about it haha 

15 hours ago, EthanKennedy said:

That makes sense. The guy who is selling them has them under Dryosaurus… explains why I couldn’t find any information about it haha 

And that gives you a good idea about how much the guy knows about fossilized crocodiles, even if he may be fairly reputable.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Dyrosaurus phosphaticus
On 10/9/2021 at 4:35 PM, caterpillar said:

Please, pay attention to the spelling. Dyrosaurus and not Dryosaurus

Thanks. I’ve been “misreading” the name for years. There’s probably a technical term for it.