I have been in contact with the head of the University of Alaska Fairbanks and Museum for a couple years showing some of my better plant fossils from my area. Miocene age, Beluga Formation, 

This last week I had a Masters Degree student come and visit my collection and my local site. She is going to do her thesis on the local miocene flora. There are papers on plants presumed to be older and younger but none from this section of the formation.

I donated approximately 100 lbs of specimens to the University of Alaska Fairbanks Museum of the North to be used by her then put in the Museum's collection.

Based off the papers from other Alaska sites, it appears to be a mix of Salix, Betula, Alnus, Ficus, Populous, Metasequioa, Glyptostrobus, Taxodium and probably others.

I know there are at least a few that are not described from this formation based off looking through the papers. Included in the specimens are leaves, twigs, branches, aments (cones and catkins) and other inflorescences. I know there are cones from 3 different families based on shapes and sizes.

The student and her professor were quite thrilled and impressed by specimens they were able to take back.

I will be donating a lot more from my previous trips after high grading them. And, now I am helping as an offical on-site field agent for this now official University project. So all my digging here for the next 3 years (expected length of project) will be for the university museum. Fine by me as plants are not my #1 fossil to collect.

20211005_221019.jpg

20211005_221126.jpg

20211005_221216.jpg

20211005_221257.jpg

20211005_221348.jpg

20211005_221610.jpg

20211005_221707.jpg

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 3

9 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

And, now I am helping as an offical on-site field agent for this now official University project. So all my digging here for the next 3 years (expected length of project) will be for the university museum. Fine by me as plants are not my #1 fossil to collect.

Spectacular to be working on a project. Gives extra focus and meaning to your outings. Keep us in the loop as to how this project proceeds over time.

Cheers.

-Ken

5 hours ago, digit said:

Spectacular to be working on a project. Gives extra focus and meaning to your outings. Keep us in the loop as to how this project proceeds over time.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks. I shall. With the amount of material and the time frame they set I assume there will be big gaps between updates. Which will drive me nuts! I want to know now :look:Ah, but the wheels of science rarely move fast so I'll be :popcorn: