Unidentified skin fossil

Scratch

Hello everyone. I'm not at all up on fossils, though I do sometimes turn them up while fieldwalking for stone tools in the Lincolnshire Wolds. Normally I just find belemnites, ammonites and other shellfish but today I found this piece at a field edge not far from Horncastle. I've put "dinosaur" and "fish" in the tags purely because I had to put something.

I'd love to know what this is and would be delighted if anyone can identify it. Here it is at the moment of finding and after a gentle wash.

Thanks in advance, Ted.

20211010_162444.jpg

20211010_183945.jpg

Edited by Scratch

2 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Stratigraphy please.

It was on the surface at the edge of a ploughed field. Chalky soil if that's any help.

I don't believe this is a fossil. It looks purely geologic in origin.

I'm not sure which fork in the diagram to take after that though. :shrug:

2 minutes ago, TqB said:

I'm pretty sure it's a piece of a sponge from the Cretaceous Chalk, Ventriculites or similar.

Thanks, that would certainly fit with other fossils I have found in the same general area.

• Thank You 1

6 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Not really. Stratigraphy.

Borrowed from the Wikipedia page on the Lincolnshire Wolds. This is the best I can do as geology is a closed book to me.

"The Wolds are formed largely from a series of pure marine limestones formed during the Cretaceous period, known collectively as the Chalk Group. The chalk overlies a series of other sedimentary strata of late Jurassic/early Cretaceous age."

1 hour ago, Scratch said:

Borrowed from the Wikipedia page on the Lincolnshire Wolds. This is the best I can do as geology is a closed book to me.

"The Wolds are formed largely from a series of pure marine limestones formed during the Cretaceous period, known collectively as the Chalk Group. The chalk overlies a series of other sedimentary strata of late Jurassic/early Cretaceous age."

Thank you. I'll go along with TqB's analysis.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 hours ago, TqB said:

I'm pretty sure it's a piece of a sponge from the Cretaceous Chalk, Ventriculites or similar.

Good call, I think. :)

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png