Brandy Cole

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

@Brandy Cole's osteoderm is giant armadillo, not glyptodont.

Thank you for the info!

So are the glyptodont osteoderms much later than the giant armadillo?

--Brandy

14 minutes ago, Brandy Cole said:

Thank you for the info!

--Brandy

The giant armadillo (Priodontes maximus), colloquially tatou, ocarro, tatu-canastra or tatú carreta, is the largest living species of armadillo (although their extinct relatives, the glyptodonts, were much larger). It lives in South America, ranging throughout as far south as northern Argentina.[2] This species is considered vulnerable to extinction.[1]

Glyptodon (from Greek for "grooved or carved tooth": γλυπτός "sculptured" and ὀδοντ-, ὀδούς "tooth") was a genus of large, heavily armored mammals of the subfamily Glyptodontinae (glyptodonts or glyptodontines) - relatives of armadillos - that lived during the Pleistocene epoch.It was roughly the same size and weight as a Volkswagen Beetle, 800-840 kg (1,760-1,850 lb).

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20 minutes ago, Brandy Cole said:

Thank you for the info!

--Brandy

Both species arrived at the same time across the Central American Land Bridge.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Both species arrived at the same time across the Central American Land Bridge.

Thank you for the information.  I apologize for the mis-type.  I meant to ask if they were much larger, not later.  I was curious what the main identification differences are between the two so I can distinguish them in the future. 

1 hour ago, Brandy Cole said:

@Rockwood

Wouldn't this be too big to be glyptodont?  Or am I missing something?

Including one I found for size reference.

IMG_20211011_164821175.jpg

IMG_20211011_165001486.jpg

IMG_20211011_164835734.jpg

The osteoderm that you have here isn't from a glyptodon, but one of their very close relatives, the giant armadillo Holmesina. Both were quadrupeds with a distinctive bony shell covering most of their bodies, but the osteoderms that made up the shells of glyptodons were circular and look something like flowers, while giant armadillo osteoderms are usually square, (like the one you found), pentagonal, or hexagonal.  

@Brandy Cole

Since your osteoderm ID grew legs, I've split it into its own topic.  ;)

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@Brandy Cole glyptodon osteoderms on left in this pic. Like gpayton said, the armor of glyptodon tends to break apart along the seems of the flower like pieces. Armadillo, in the right side of pic, come in many different shapes. 

A02D3E6E-DFF5-44EC-914B-FAED73515A1D.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

@garyc @GPayton

Thanks so much for the clarification!  I knew just enough to be dangerous. :TongueOut:

I understood that what I found was a 'giant armadillo' osteoderm, and wherever I searched giant armadillo,  both glyptodont and holmesina came up for this area, so I didn't properly understand the difference for ID purposes.  When I looked them up separately, the only big appearance difference I could figure out was that holmesina was a smaller animal.

This makes it so much clearer now, and the pictures are good references to know the difference in the future.

Thanks again everyone.

-Brandy

• Enjoyed 1