Nanotyrannus claw?

carch_23

Hi everyone, would like to ask what you guys think of this labelled “Nanotyrannus Foot Claw”? Never really seen Nanotyrannus claws on the market so have no idea how to distinguish between other tyrannosaurs. And does the coat/ layer also look too thick? Almost looks like varnish? Unless its just their lighting that makes it too glossy. 

Thanks guys

59481DF8-9A8F-497E-9B86-6A9838E24055.jpeg

65E4F9EF-C881-4ECD-B111-FB28670E57C9.jpeg

93C11B1E-4E72-46CE-89BB-B18F7C0D8E48.jpeg

E088F277-C2F7-4E74-8D41-1D3204961AFC.jpeg

BFE6CB7F-907C-440E-B704-421AC8F96139.jpeg

It looks like a Tyrannosaurid foot claw but its color is odd, could just be how the photos were taken.  The skin looks poorly preserved especially on the proximal end and articulations but need better photos.

The only way to distinguish a Tyrannosaurid (Trex/Nanotyrannus) from others is its provenance.   So what is the locality its from need State and County/Town where it was found.  

I would also be concerned about restoration.  Has the seller mention any?  A little is evident on the very tip and on the left side by the blood groove.

I know its not cheap so I would require he take new photos in different l lighting, closups of back areas and some with a UV source. 

52 minutes ago, Troodon said:

It looks like a Tyrannosaurid foot claw but its color is odd, could just be how the photos were taken.  The skin looks poorly preserved especially on the proximal end and articulations but need better photos.

The only way to distinguish a Tyrannosaurid (Trex/Nanotyrannus) from others is its provenance.   So what is the locality its from need State and County/Town where it was found.  

I would also be concerned about restoration.  Has the seller mention any?  A little is evident on the very tip and on the left side by the blood groove.

I know its not cheap so I would require he take new photos in different l lighting, closups of back areas and some with a UV source. 

Hi Troodon, thanks for that.

Sorry forgot to add "Hell Creek Formation, Montana" though that is the only location but no county. 

Description doesnt really provide anything regarding resto/ repair. 

Those are also the only photos provided but I can maybe try ask for more. 

Thats not an adequate locality to support its identification.  Need county or town.  Its your money but I would request additional information including additional photos.   

Cast?  Anything is possible but why you should buy from reputable dealers where you can return for a full refund.  And living where you do that should be a given with any purchase.

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thats not an adequate locality to support its identification.  Need county or town.  Its your money but I would request additional information including additional photos.   

Cast?  Anything is possible but why you should buy from reputable dealers where you can return for a full refund.  And living where you do that should be a given with any purchase.

Hi Frank, thank you for your valuable input as always. I can probably try ask for more images though if they cant give me a more specific locality, I'd probably pass on it. Just want that peace of mind especially since its not cheap aha. 

This looks like a cast with an oil wash where the paint has pooled heavily in the crevices to weather and enhance the details. I'm an artist by trade and, while others here certainly know more than I do from a paleontological standpoint, this screams fake to me.

Edited by Mousehead
  • Enjoyed 1

Lol the claw has been sold. If it was legit, it is actually not a bad price considering Ive never seen one for sale (I live in Australia so my options are pretty limited).

Buyer may have already asked the questions quicker and earlier than I did aha. Thanks anyways guys. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 10:50 AM, carch_23 said:

Lol the claw has been sold. If it was legit, it is actually not a bad price considering Ive never seen one for sale (I live in Australia so my options are pretty limited).

Buyer may have already asked the questions quicker and earlier than I did aha. Thanks anyways guys. 

Or he took it down and said it was sold, because he saw the topic here, or got to many questions :zzzzscratchchin: just a thought. It looked like a perfect claw how you image it would be, a little too perfect. Perhaps a cast indeed. If it had repair it was done very well, photos were also oversaturated