Is this a Two Medicine juvenile tyrannosaurid or Richardoestesia tooth?

-Andy-

Hello, this tooth has baffled me for years. I can't tell if it is a juvenile tyrannosaurid dentary tooth or a cf. Richardoestesia gilmorei tooth

Its locality info is Montana, Two Medicine Formation

The tooth has a serration density of 19/5mm on the distal mid-line. Unfortunately the mesial carina is worn down so that crucial data is missing

The CH is 11.5 mm, CBW is 7 mm and CBL is 4.5 mm

As far as I am aware, juvenile tyrannosaurid (with the exception of T. rex) have slender teeth while as this tooth is somewhat robust. Meanwhile, Richardoestesia gilmorei is somewhat of a wastebasket ID for many teeth(likely unrelated species), so this teeth should fall into the range of size and morphology for one

May I have your thoughts on this tooth?

627526003_Richard1.thumb.jpg.18bd58e2e42f632de8fd7a717dc7c25c.jpg

serrations.jpg.828d01c74e76c1d95c0cc2bba252506c.jpg558141974_serrations2.thumb.jpg.ce7faf2577733258805b592caf736e8a.jpg

93214999_Richard(23).thumb.jpg.42e931bd325d17c5e82ad8443004d315.jpg1931139719_Richard(14)z.thumb.jpg.60cf93b5817ace20aa91fb5176938645.jpg

Edited by -Andy-
  • Enjoyed 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Hi Andy

I'm inclined to call this a dentary tooth of a juvie Tyrannosaurid.   If I look at what Currie describes in Dinosaur Systematics,  R. gilmorei teeth have minute denticles in the order of 6/mm and most important are very compressed.   Both these characteristics do not match your tooth.  It also looks too robust to be one.   

• I found this Informative 3

9 hours ago, Troodon said:

Hi Andy

I'm inclined to call this a dentary tooth of a juvie Tyrannosaurid.   If I look at what Currie describes in Dinosaur Systematics,  R. gilmorei teeth have minute denticles in the order of 6/mm and most important are very compressed.   Both these characteristics do not match your tooth.  It also looks too robust to be one.   

Thank you. Henry Mendoza agrees. He said it's a juvenile posterior tyrannosaur tooth.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!