Mississippian forams and brachiopod brachidium, UK.

TqB

I collected this brachiopod showing part of the brachidium yesterday - quite rare to see in this area. It's partially silicified and I was thinking of perhaps etching it out a little further.

It's also a good geopetal example, with sediment in the bottom (graded if you look closely), the remaining void above being filled with calcite that has helped preserve the brachidium.

On checking my photos, I realised that there were some nice clear foraminifera, about 1mm across, which I haven't really noticed much before from this limestone. These photos are just of the rough surface, taken just submerged which reduces the surface bumpiness and allows better contrast (much better than just wetting it).

I think I've managed to identify the two(?) types shown here though I'm very happy to be corrected! 

There are many more in there and I'm going to cut and polish some of it.

Great Limestone, Pendleian, upper Mississippian. Weardale, Co. Durham, England.

Scale in mm.

(The first Endothyranopsis is at the top near the rule, and another is halfway between the 10 and the rock edge. See blowups below.)

IMG_4383.thumb.jpeg.d0006a11a4c9754793c088c0fe9b2dea.jpegIMG_4383.thumb.jpeg.a8c2366c8750e59cb7c77da908149b02.jpeg

?Endothyranopsis sp. The white blob to the left of the obvious specimen may be the same species seen at right angles to it.

IMG_4381.thumb.jpeg.d6f0ba1502739e67b5dffd8d75aa9a37.jpeg

Palaeotextulariid - I looked at a few genera of these and they're hard to distinguish from each other in a random section.

IMG_4391.thumb.jpeg.dfe21bb35d8cb58ca156b8a26b917441.jpeg

More palaeotextulariids - at least two specimens

IMG_4386.thumb.jpeg.4e5913db3e5cee72ca8cd18a40733943.jpeg

Another ?Endothyranopsis sp. (actually on the reverse of the rock).

IMG_4384.thumb.jpeg.b106b190402bc56391f0f84a32b1137b.jpeg

General view - it might be zoomable to see various forams and bits - this is how I was looking for them and it seemed to be easier than with my x20 binocular microscope. :)

Some good burrows showing up as well, especially in the bottom half.

IMG_4388.thumb.jpeg.d5f6099ffc51b86f206d166833c878f3.jpeg

Finally, a view under water of the brachiopod - shows some quite jazzy calcite around the brachidium. I'm not sure if there's more than one loop here or just crystals growing out from a loop axis. Sparry calcite in the middle.

IMG_4380.thumb.jpeg.3e44f530b1ec07b9548c6f8acb5c3de3.jpeg

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 2

Tarquin

5 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

I think Pedro Cozar has revised a lot of Pendleian/Serpukhovian foram.

Thanks - out this year I see and behind a paywall. :) (I could request a copy but I'm just a beginning dilettante re forams.)

Tarquin

7 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Thank you again! There are some Great Limestone ones there which is very helpful!

I posted a link to this in my reply above but it disappeared:

https://jgs.lyellcollection.org/content/178/3/jgs2020-170.abstract

And I do have this by them, which is where my IDs were from. :)

Foraminifers in upper Viséan–lower Serpukhovian limestones (Mississippian) from South Wales

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

Got into carboniferous forams in the early 80's by way of Vachard and Conil(the Francophonic crowd,if you will)

• Enjoyed 1

Adam reminded me of something:when is this coffeetable book

"Microfauna and megafauna of the British  Carboniferous"

going to get published?:rolleyes: 

Everytime you post something,my retinae do vehemently protest too much,verily

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very interesting, Tarquin. 

Thanks for sharing these.:)

Thanks, Adam. I think there may be some more forams - it's getting hard to find decent corals up Weardale! (Not all my fault! - I've noticed diminishing numbers of all qualities around over the last few years.)

59 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Adam reminded me of something:when is this coffeetable book

"Microfauna and megafauna of the British  Carboniferous"

going to get published?:rolleyes: 

Everytime you post something,my retinae do vehemently protest too much,verily

:chuckle: Nice of you to say so, Ben. It would obviously be a best seller -  online saves paper though and you can zoom!:look:

I've just modified "Palaeotextularia" to "palaeotextulariid" after looking through the Southeast Ireland paper you linked. :)

Tarquin