A fat egg - GangZhou

FF7_Yuffie

Hello,

Does anyone know what this egg is from? It looks fatter and less elongated than the oviraptor eggs, but isn't as round as Hadrosaur eggs. Quite unusual. The shell looks different too, not as speckled as the oviraptor eggs.

It's from GangZhou, Nanxiong Formation.

fat egg 2.jpg

fat egg.jpg

Edited by FF7_Yuffie
  • Enjoyed 1

We would need better pictures. These are too dark.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

@Fossildude19

Seller has supplied some pics with different lighting and angles and the measurements.

Length 14.5Cm,Width 10Cm at its widest point.

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

22 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Are these latest photos the same egg as your first one?  the matrix is very rough on the first images while very smooth on the second.

@-Andy- @HamptonsDoc

Yes, I thought he sent wrong photos at first but egg is a different way round-- the matrix gaps match up if right way round.

Ok, so either is has been smoothened between the fotos, or in the second one the flashlight makes it look smoother than it is.

Courious if someone can give an ID.

Aloha,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

The sunlight coming from the side is causing tiny, angled shadows that are showing more surface detail. The straight-on inside light is washing them out making it look smoother.

Edited by daves64
  • Thank You 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

A theropod egg for sure

Looks to be an Oviraptorid egg that was compressed due to preservation. I wouldn't put too much weight on the unique shape unless an entire nest of them are found

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

13 hours ago, -Andy- said:

A theropod egg for sure

Looks to be an Oviraptorid egg that was compressed due to preservation. I wouldn't put too much weight on the unique shape unless an entire nest of them are found

I have seen similar eggs from Ganzhou and they didn't look like they were compressed oviraptorid eggs.  They are much "fatter" and shorter and rounder.  Look at the following photos.  Would they be other types of eggs?

IMG_1745.PNG

IMG_1746.PNG

IMG_1747.JPG

• Thank You 1

58 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

I have seen similar eggs from Ganzhou and they didn't look like they were compressed oviraptorid eggs.  They are much "fatter" and shorter and rounder.  Look at the following photos.  Would they be other types of eggs?

IMG_1745.PNG

IMG_1746.PNG

IMG_1747.JPG

Do you know what these eggs are called? The oogenus, or guessed species?

On 10/18/2021 at 9:04 AM, Crazyhen said:

Thanks. 

I tried asking some friends in China and they had no idea what eggs these are either. Their only guess was theropod

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I am not sure about the type of these chubby eggs, possibly Ovaloolithus.  They are much less common than oviraptorid eggs or oogenus eggs in Ganzhou.

• Thank You 1

Here is a paper on Ovaloolithus eggs they look very oval.  Not sure we can call them that.   Cool looking egg whatever it is.   Possibly writing to the authors of these papers or other authors might shed some light on this egg.

P020100202377305055770.pdf

• Thank You 1

Greetings! 

It seems to me as a very unique hadrosaurus egg from GanZhou (actually not Gangzhou). You should take a look into the work of Dr. Zikui Zhao (Chinese: 赵资奎)and Dr. Qiang Wang (Chinese: 王强). They studied the eggs systematically and have academic works published. The problem is nearly all the works of Dr. Zhao are written in Chinese, but I guess it would not be a problem for you. 

• Thank You 1

I heard back about the egg. Ill post the whole text.

"Your specimen, my apologies, is apparently fabricated. Each shell piece is real, while they were reassembled to be an egg, probably for a better price in sale. However, you are right--they are hadrosaurid eggshells but composited like an elongate oviraptorid egg. The gap between any two pieces is too unnatural (e.g., photo egg5). I hope this helps."

Luckily, I hadnt bought it yet lol  Ive attached what was photo 5 on the email.

egg5.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1