Herkimer, NY - what is it, please?

LTLOL

Good evening,

First of all, I apologise that there’s no ruler in this particular photo. My phone battery died as I was taking the photos and then it got dark, so I couldn’t get a good photo. I can update tomorrow if there’s anything here.

I went to the Herkimer mine in NY this week and I found this rock. It interested me because of the lines and I didn’t see anything else like it in the 5 hours (!!) we were mining.

Do you have any idea what the lines are, please? 

Thank you. 

L. 

2387F7C8-3618-43EA-B91D-9F5962A3D3FF.jpeg

24D6A7D1-B37E-4047-8BB8-6BB8D268DC16.jpeg

This may be from a stromatolite. They are the only fossil found in the Herkimer Diamond mine. They are a layered sedimentary formation created by a type of bacteria. They are one of the oldest fossils known. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I would guess this is not a fossil but a geologic mimic. I forget the name of similar finds in my local area. We will see what is said and I will try and figure out the name.

• I Agree 2

1 minute ago, minnbuckeye said:

I would guess this is not a fossil but a geologic mimic. I forget the name of similar finds in my local area. We will see what is said and I will try and figure out the name.

Stylolite. :) 

• I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Yes, I also think this is not a fossil. 

Either a calcitic structure or something mechanical such as a slickenside or stylolite. 

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I was  copying this picture when everyone beat me to the punchpost-7046-0-46662000-1320248444_thumb.jpg

This is a fulgurite. No it is not! Just teasing  @Tidgy's Dad. Styolite is the word that could not be remembered. By the way, this picture is from a Fossil Forum member, Kehbe.

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

This is a fulgurite. No it is not! 

:heartylaugh:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

How does one tell Slickensides from Styolites visually. Do each form under different conditions? My search for answers shows others appear confused too.

15 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

How does one tell Slickensides from Styolites visually. Do each form under different conditions? My search for answers shows others appear confused too.

From what I gather, they may be (debatably) interchangeable terms. There are even slickolites as a type of stylolites. :headscratch:In some of the literature, slickensided features describe the vertical planar surface of styolites, rendering it a descriptive attribute as opposed to a geo-structural type. 

I do not have a rough and ready answer to the question, though. I just know when I encounter them, I need to shift my attention above or below them to find fossils. :D To my eye, the difference between the two may not be the same musical notes, but we'd be humming in the same scale range. 

Arxiv.org has a review of stylolites by Touissant et al (2018) that likely provides more than anyone might ever want or need to know about them. :P LINK

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer