Show Us Your Tiny Trilobites From Your Collection!

pleecan

This is my smallest Trilobite to date.... measures a whole 2mm in length!

Cambrian (Changaspis elongate) from Guizhou province(Southwest) of China.

post-2446-12673896876153_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice bug PL!

I think this is my smallest complete trilo: 1.91 mm Triarthrus from "Jo's Quarry" in New York. It happened to be a sunny day and the pyrite caught my eye, I almost chucked it...

post-2448-12673949198553_thumb.jpgpost-2448-12673949198553.jpg

Wow is that ever neat! so tiny compared to the paper clip.

Thanks for posting.

PL

Here's one of my smallest. It's about 6 mm long.

Brachyaspidion microps from the upper Wheeler shale, Cambrian.

post-1687-12674052868016_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt cable

Here's one of my smallest. It's about 6 mm long.

Brachyaspidion mircops from the upper Wheeler shale, Cambrian.

This I like! :wub:

Just look at the detail!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, that's why I picked him up at my clubs Christmas auction. He even has a spine coming off the center of his head.

Unbelievable...!!!

Matt.... that is quality preservation.... nice aquisition... I also like 32FordBoy's Trilo plate to....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Bigger bug from the silica shale, 9 mm wide roller->

very nice placoderams!

could you show us more facies?

I am looking for trilos and ammonites

my blogmy fossils collection

Always lovely to see trilobites! Especially Matt's specimen is very nicely preserved!

cheers,

Mark

This is the vaguest and smallest trilobite fossil I own, measures aprox. 3mm.

Can you see it? :blush:

It comes from the Cambrian of Metaline Falls, Washington State. This site is closely related to the Burgess Shale fauna, and the plate also has an Elrathina cordillerae and Ogygopsis klotzi on it.

post-1540-12674675321196_thumb.jpg

The picture isn't my finest work, but the little agnostid (Baltagnostus eurypyx I believe) at the top of the photo comes in at 2 mm

Cambrian -Marjum formation

House Range

Millard County, Utah

post-77-12674910394699_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

A few more, also seen in my gallery

post-77-12674911652199_thumb.jpg  post-77-12674912329265_thumb.jpg  post-77-12674913177083_thumb.jpg  post-77-12674913690205_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Kevin very nice presentation! You got quite an assortment of tiny trilo... nice collection. I see we got another Ontario fossil collector joining the forum... Blastoid.

Peter

This is the vaguest and smallest trilobite fossil I own, measures aprox. 3mm.

Can you see it? :blush:

It comes from the Cambrian of Metaline Falls, Washington State. This site is closely related to the Burgess Shale fauna, and the plate also has an Elrathina cordillerae and Ogygopsis klotzi on it.

Thanks for posting Mark. You can enhance the picture by electronically contrast, bightness, gamma settings to bring out relief and details.

PL

Tried to enhance / reprocess your photo with limited success.

post-2446-12674932445846_thumb.jpg

Nice mini trilos everyone!

PL, I think we all must have some of the Cambrian Peronopsis interstricta's from the Wheeler Shale in Utah! They are certainly tiny!

post-1240-12675028450143_thumb.jpg

Here is another one just a tad smaller than Abe Lincoln's ear! approx 2.5mm

post-1240-12675027820171_thumb.jpg

And then a virtual monster---a 12mm Middle Cambrian Ellipsocephalus hoffi from Jince-Czech Republic

Regards, Chris

PL, I got to looking more closely at the plate that the Peronopsis I posted earlier came from. There actually is an even smaller "adult" <2mm specimen as shown in the photo below.

post-1240-12676707888343_thumb.jpg

Now you got me wondering how small the larval stages of this trilobite must be---I'll need to dig around on the web unless someone can point me to a reference to see if there is a diagram showing size and what their form/shape was. Although this plate isnt prepped out you can see quite a bit of detail with just a magnifying glass. Probably couldnt see a larval stage if it was there but something to think about.

post-1240-1267670751359_thumb.jpg

I see all the fun you are having with your microscope--maybe I need to add that to my "hobby wish list". Thanks for the thread! Regards, Chris

Here are some of my tiny trilobites from the Arkona Formation. All are complete. Just crawl on your hands and knees for a few hours and you are sure to find one.

post-391-12676727061775_thumb.jpg

Edited by crinus

PL, I got to looking more closely at the plate that the Peronopsis I posted earlier came from. There actually is an even smaller "adult" <2mm specimen as shown in the photo below.

post-1240-12676707888343_thumb.jpg

Now you got me wondering how small the larval stages of this trilobite must be---I'll need to dig around on the web unless someone can point me to a reference to see if there is a diagram showing size and what their form/shape was. Although this plate isnt prepped out you can see quite a bit of detail with just a magnifying glass. Probably couldnt see a larval stage if it was there but something to think about.

post-1240-1267670751359_thumb.jpg

I see all the fun you are having with your microscope--maybe I need to add that to my "hobby wish list". Thanks for the thread! Regards, Chris

Hey Chris: Now that is a tiny trilobite... The microscope is often under utilized over looked .... there is a universe of palaeo materials just waiting to be probe.... with elegant micro structures ... all unseen with the naked eye.... reminds me of the book/movie Fantastic Voyage ... explorations of inner space.

Peter