So when I first dug this up out of the sand, I thought it was probably modern due to the color, and it felt pretty light and a little more brittle than my normal finds.   But there is mostly Pleistocene material here and sometimes it can be hard to tell.  I put a lighter under it and it had no reaction.

And when I cleaned it up, I realized that a hole runs through it.  I've read a lot of past posts by @Harry Pristis describing foramen, and I've seen examples in his collections where he discusses the differences between which animals have which types of foramen, but I'm still a little shaky on telling whether this would be an entepicondylar or supracondylar foramen.

I thought that foramen for leg bones are only found in the distal humerus, but this bone has a particularly flat end that doesn't seem like a great match for the humerus examples I've looked at so far.  Maybe that's just due to wear.

I feel like I'm probably missing something here.

Any info would help. Thanks.

--Brandy

18415467_IMG_20211017_1131433992.jpg

1214434160_IMG_20211017_1131258632.jpg

IMG_20211016_190222006~3.jpg

IMG_20211016_190144032~3.jpg

No expert  but i am      having a hard time seeing  where the long bone shaft would have broken  off.  I see breaks but because the cortical bone is approaching the breaks so closely the missing piece seems small  and the cortical bone seems thin for the end of a long bone.  ?can it be a vertebrae ?

@val horn

You're right, I should have probably added pictures showing the proximal and distal ends so people could see the articular surface and the part that's been broken off.

@Harry Pristis Thank you for taking a look.

IMG_20211018_132535206~2.jpg

IMG_20211018_132611563~2.jpg

IMG_20211018_132744110~2.jpg

thank you for the additional photos.  I am still not seeing it as a long bone.  that may just be my lack of imagination, my idea of a vertebrae is also wrong and no longer viable.  Now I am thinking of wrist and ankle bones of something large.  @darrow knows alot about pleistocene fossils any may be able to help.  Of course there is always dr Hulbert at U of florida.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, val horn said:

thank you for the additional photos.  I am still not seeing it as a long bone.  that may just be my lack of imagination, my idea of a vertebrae is also wrong and no longer viable.  Now I am thinking of wrist and ankle bones of something large.  @darrow knows alot about pleistocene fossils any may be able to help.  Of course there is always dr Hulbert at U of florida.

I think the only reason I assumed it was a long bone was because of the significant foramen, which I had only read about happening in distal ends of humeri.  But the flat articular surface didn't really fit with a humerus. I wasn't even sure if there's enough detail here for an ID, but the hole was really interesting to me, so I figured it was worth a shot. It's the only reason I felt this probably wasn't modern.  It was unfamiliar, and most modern large bones here on the river are easier for me to identify now that I've got a little more experience under my belt.  

But always possible I'm missing something obvious.

--Brandy

On 10/21/2021 at 8:24 AM, garyc said:

Here’s a bison atlas vert from the river. See if your chunk compares

2B22D5DF-701C-4E99-993A-D177094FD090.jpeg

555243BE-FC69-4E52-B7E4-CE780C96D2F0.jpeg

Thanks @garyc.

I hadn't considered a partial vertebra!

I don't think it would work since three out of four sides on this piece are complete and don't look quite right for it, but I may just not be using enough imagination.

These photos may show the shape/side a little better.

IMG_20211016_154459448~2.jpg

IMG_20211016_154422786~2.jpg

On 10/18/2021 at 2:17 AM, val horn said:

can it be a vertebrae ?

Yup. I'm in. But as you know I don't have credentials to protect.

Duces and one eyed jacks are wild here. :)

• Enjoyed 1