Should I buy? Real or fake? Keichousaurus

arapaima01

• arapaima01 changed the title to Should I buy? Real or fake? Keichousaurus

This actually looks pretty good to me.

Some of the bones are slightly disarticulated, which points towards it being real.

Fakes are usually trying to look perfect.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I replied to you on Reddit I might have been go negative 

found this

Edit: more information can be found in this sub forum. My general conclusion these fossils are usually badly prepped and (partially) painted over to make them look good. Have been thinking about getting one myself but now sure I will only do so when I am able to see it with my own eyes.

Edited by R0b
  • I found this Informative 1

Greetings!

I replied to another member from TFF earlier, and here I put my replies to him, since I think you guys ran into the same situation: 

"Greetings! 

The specimen itself is genuine, but I don't recommend buying this one or similar specimen. 

The preparation of such kind specimen is done by farmers who have little anatomical knowledge, so what they did is washing the specimen with strong industrial acid, which destroyed the details of the fossil. To make specimen stands out after acid-washing, they gave the bones a layer of black painting (usually shoe oils) to make them looks "good". 

What I recommend is buying Keichousaurus fossils that are not restored and restore them by either yourself or professionals......" 

Again, my suggestion is not changed: Try to purchase an uncleaned, unprepared specimen and get it restored either by the hands of yourself (with good patience, proper anatomical knowledge and good amount of time) or some experts who know what they are doing. Either way it gonna cost greatly but what you get would be definitely satisifying! :) 

Edited by Agent_Zigzag
  • I found this Informative 2

48 minutes ago, Agent_Zigzag said:

Again, my suggestion is not changed: Try to purchase an uncleaned, unprepared specimen and get it restored either by the hands of yourself (with good patience, proper anatomical knowledge and good amount of time) or some experts who know what they are doing. Either way it gonna cost greatly but what you get would be definitely satisifying! :) 

Thanks, interesting suggestion where does one find an unprepped Keichosaurus? 

8 minutes ago, R0b said:

Thanks, interesting suggestion where does one find an unprepped Keichosaurus? 

Since people tend to buy "APPEARED TO BE NICE/MINT CONDITION" specimens in US and European countries, unprepped specimen is hardly on sale in markets outside China. However in China the situation is exactly opposite -- fossil collectors and researchers like to buy unprepped specimens and spend some extra cash to get their specimens fixed via some technicians they trust (usually they had already collaborated for a long time). 

Now my suggestion would be try to make some Chinese friends, learn some Chinese (so that sellers could not fool you), and buy directly from local sellers from Guizhou and Yunnan. If we are talking about purchasing fossils in time before 2020, my suggestion would include flying to China and buy fossils alongside with a entrusted Chinese guide. However, I think the international traveling is still in regulation......

Edited by Agent_Zigzag

18 minutes ago, Agent_Zigzag said:

Since people tend to buy "APPEARED TO BE NICE/MINT CONDITION" specimens in US and European countries, unprepped specimen is hardly on sale in markets outside China. However in China the situation is exactly opposite -- fossil collectors and researchers like to buy unprepped specimens and spend some extra cash to get their specimens fixed via some technicians they trust (usually they had already collaborated for a long time). 

Now my suggestion would be try to make some Chinese friends, learn some Chinese (so that sellers could not fool you), and buy directly from local sellers from Guizhou and Yunnan. If we are talking about purchasing fossils in time before 2020, my suggestion would include flying to China and buy fossils alongside with a entrusted Chinese guide. However, I think the international traveling is still in regulation......

Somewhere else I read export would be illegal or is this species not regulated? The Chinese language part is challenging but I have colleagues I trust in China, although those would be in Shandong. If not for Covid-19 I would probably have already visited  or visit China soon.

22 minutes ago, R0b said:

Somewhere else I read export would be illegal or is this species not regulated? The Chinese language part is challenging but I have colleagues I trust in China, although those would be in Shandong. If not for Covid-19 I would probably have already visited  or visit China soon.

It is regulated, but in most case scenarios if you are not purchasing a huge amount of them (like 50 pieces in a single suitcase), they would not care that much. However if the Custom stops you, you can't argue with them, either. The regulations and inspections on dinosaurs and birds fossils are much heavier than Keichousaurus. 

I would say that if you are having a business travel to Shanghai, the best would leave two or three days with blank schedule to visit Guizhou or Yunnan. I recommend these places as wonderful place for traveling -- nice food, nice natural views, and with propper Chinese-speaking guide you will get some nice expeinces beyond hunting fossil collections in local markets and villages. 

Edited by Agent_Zigzag